hike canceled

hippieP

We just had notice that a tornado is popping up and rearing its ugly head so a quick hike out this evening has been pushed off. It makes me wonder though what are the best tools for keeping track of the weather when you are out and about?

campclose

The Weather channel is my best friend. I get the Weather channel on my smartphone, computer and the TV. It's not always right but it is pretty close.

omegapd

I got in two miles before the warnings hit around here. Tornadoes and heavy winds missed us to the North and to the West so we got lucky. Weather.com is the only thing I use for a heads up. I'm lucky to get cell reception at home and only have 3 TV channels, so the 'Net is the way to go for me.

ejdixon

The Weather channel is my best friend. I get the Weather channel on my smartphone, computer and the TV. It's not always right but it is pretty close.
I also use this app on my smartphone. Yes, it's not always accurate, but at least it gives you an idea on what kind of weather to expect. That way, I pack the proper gear and know if I need to cancel any trips instead of having to deal with it there.

IndianaHiker

While I do use my smart phone don't get in the habit if trusting it. To many possible problems ie. reception and batteries to name a few. I need to get a small weather radio. This some of this are pretty small and weigh very little. Another thing that is useful is a barometer. You can get this made into electronic weather stations that are about the size of a GPS. Or you can used the method that I use. I watch the clouds a great deal and notice things like wind speed, direction, and temps. When there are certain types of clouds present and one or more of the other things start changing quickly I know I am in for some potentially rough times.

OldSole

I use a weather radio too. It's the most accurate method I know of catching warnings and watches. I like to hear if I'm going to be blown to Oz before it happens so I can grab Toto and braid my hair. :D