Bought new Nike backpack!

rockin

My daughter wants to go backpacking and camping. Her friends and her have made the plan to go in April 2012 - it's too cold right now. I bought her a new backpack! I got a Nike (pink) got it for $18 at TJ Maxx - instead of $50 elsewhere. Oh yeah!

Candy

Good job, on finding such a great deal on a Nike product! I am not sure how old your daughter is, but you might want to pick up a can of pepper spray, too. Especially, if this is a girls only trip.

campclose

Pepper spray and girls only! I would be sending a parent with them if they were not 18 yet!

Awesome find... My daughter wanted a Nike bag too and I picked her up a sport bag for around the same price.

IndianaHiker

That sounds like a good deal on that pack. However what type of outing are the girls planning on doing. I am assuming that they are just going out for a day hike and not backpacking. If so Nike really doesn't make any gear suitable for backpacking trips.

Lamebeaver

Unless I'm missing something, and I just checked the Nike website, they don't actually make what most of us would consider backpacks. They're basically sports bags and book bags.

A "real" backpack is designed to carry most of the weight on the hips, not the shoulders, and has room for a sleeping bag, etc.

briansnat

Platnium Member
If your daughter is really going backpacking, she's going to need something a lot more substantial than a Nike pack.

I suspect you probably got her something similar to this:

For backpacking she would need something like this:

Or this:

Last edited:

MountainMan22

Regardless of if the backpack is good enough to go backpacking with, that was a great deal. I love those low end discount retailers because you find designer brands at really good prices. I do about half of my clothes shopping in those places.

IndianaHiker

Sure it was a great deal. People were just saying that the Nike pack is made with a specific use in mind. That being said backpacking is not the intended use for that pack.

outwest

Great deals are fine but make sure its useless too. I fell into that trap a few times, and the first I actually repeated before for a camping tent set. Some silly thing years ago that had the tent + extra supplies (the ones I never used).

briansnat

Platnium Member
Regardless of if the backpack is good enough to go backpacking with, that was a great deal. I love those low end discount retailers because you find designer brands at really good prices. I do about half of my clothes shopping in those places.
It's not a good deal if it can't be used for its intended purpose. I remember a friend who was new to backpacking telling me about the great deal he got on a tent he expected to use for backpacking. It weighed 22 lbs.

Otto

The pink is suit for girl, the green is so big. It needs the strong man to master it.