Home camping

southerngal

We lost power for a week this early November due to an early snowstorm. We pulled our camping stuff out and camped out in our yard! We built a fire and cooked over it. We slept in heavy sleeping bags and brought out extra down comforters as well. We were warm and toasty and well fed. The tent was WARMER than our house and being out with the fire really made it feel "normal" not to have the electricity.

We even had many neighbors come over to cook their food on our fire and we were happy to do it because it gave us something to do!
That is awesome! Great way to make what could have been a bad situation a lot better, and you helped out some others as well! We enjoy camping in the backyard with our little ones. We are trying to get them ready for a "real" trip in the Spring

LinuxRacr

Home camping is how my daughter and I started our camping adventures. Over the last 4 years we have built up our camping gear, and would test it out in the backyard, and also at a state park a couple of miles away. We've been having trouble getting my wife on board with camping.

oldsarge

Your lucky, I can't get my Wife or Daughter to get involved in anything I do!

Cappy

Peggy and I sit around our back yard fire pit at least twice a week year round. We do weenies, marshmellows, smores, black iron stuff etc or sometimes just sit. We sometimes for no reason spend the night in our lil 18 ft ultralite camper. If ya love camping activities I strongly advise ya try the back yard camp fire:tinysmile_grin_t:

TroyS

Home camping is how my daughter and I started our camping adventures. Over the last 4 years we have built up our camping gear, and would test it out in the backyard, and also at a state park a couple of miles away. We've been having trouble getting my wife on board with camping.
That's how my wife and I pretty much got our kids into camping. Every once in a while, my son will have some of his friends over and they would just pitch a tent and do their own camping in the backyard.

Subaru Camper

Great post! As a kid we used to camp in the back area of my parents 10 acres. It felt like we were away and we never had to leave! Even now that I am in my late twenties and moved out of the nest years ago i still occasionally get a group of friends together to camp in my parents backyard, it makes them feel good and saves us from camping fees. Last year we were not able to book a spot fast enough for Labor Day and our local campground was filled This was a great alternative to still get everyone together!

abpat2203

Some great post here. I unfortunately live in an apartment so do not have the luxury of a backyard where I could camp. On top of that, I got a big 8-person tent so even my living room will be a tight fit for it. In any case, I am going to try doing it this weekend even if it means I have to move my furniture around. Hopefully we will have one last cold spell here in Dallas so that I can point my tent towards the fireplace and have a nice warm fire going.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
That's how my wife and I pretty much got our kids into camping. Every once in a while, my son will have some of his friends over and they would just pitch a tent and do their own camping in the backyard.
I tried the backyard thing. The trouble is I live at the corner lot entrance to our neighborhood. There are around 100 houses in the place, and trying to sleep outside is like trying to sleep in grand central station. Cars you can sleep through inside are REALLY loud outside. Big mufflers, 'tards with boom systems, and headlights shining through the tent every five minutes suck. I camped out with my kid and wound up staying awake all night. I was so happy when six am came and she asked if we could go inside because she had to pee.

RandySki

My kids will take blankets and set up tents and forts wherever and whenever they can. If they want to camp, they'll do it in the backyard. It's really funny when my wife and I wake up and see them in their beds in the morning.