Frying over the campfire

Rosie

Am I the only one here who brings a gallon of oil with me for frying when I go camping? For me it just makes sense since frying does not take long and you don't have to wait for the fire to die down to coals before you start. Anyone else here like to fry foods over the campfire? What do you make?

dinosaur

troublemaker
A gallon. Well, I don't take that much but I do like some walleye or bluegill fried in the pan over a fire. You must use a deep fryer.

WildRover

I once dated a Mexican woman and when we would go camping with her kids she would make fried dough in a big dutch oven filled half way with oil. OMG it was so delicious and people would always wonder into our campsite when they smelled it and we would always share!

SunnyDay

I'm pretty sure the smell of fried dough would bring me wandering into your campsite too Rover!

To answer the question, no, I've never brought oil for frying. I'm more of a hot dog on a stick kind of camper.

ppine

Forester
A gallon of oil is a lot to use in a year. Maybe you could try some other ways of preparing food on a fire like a Dutch oven.

Frying fish is my favorite thing for camping followed by bacon and eggs. Fry bread or doughnuts are also favorites.

Last edited:

Gondor

I rarely fry with oil, but what I would do is cook with little water which almost counts as frying. Sometimes even I would bring oil so there's your answer. :)

DThewanderer

I never take that much oil. After hearing about the oil dough in the dutch oven I think I might start taking more oil so I can try to make stuff like that. Do you know the recipe?

oldmangunner

I don't like to fry too much while camping because I tend not to wear a shirt on really hot days (sorry folks). I don't like the splatter from the oil. Now oil in a dutch oven for baking is not a bad idea. I am not a baker though.

sailorman

I only take enough to fry bacon and eggs. I need a lot of protein to start my day off with so cereal just won't cut it. I don't use a lot of oil with my eggs though because I fry them in the bacon grease.

Geezer

Since deep frying stinks up the house it makes sense to save it for when you're camping. I'd consider it for sure but I've never done it in the past.

Cappy

Down here in Cajun country we fry alots out doors. CAmping and fishing go hand in hand here and there aint nothin' like fried fish for supper that were swimmin for breakfast.

WildRover

I never take that much oil. After hearing about the oil dough in the dutch oven I think I might start taking more oil so I can try to make stuff like that. Do you know the recipe?
I have no idea, I think it's just like regular bread dough that she would just make into discs and fry. We did sprinkle sugar on it though. I think it's the frying and the sugar that make it taste special but the bread itself I think is just regular dough. I don't know though, I'm very good at paying attention.

Grandpa

Grandma just uses her regular yeast dough. You can also just deep fry refrigerator bisquits. Flatten them out some and plop them in the grease until brown, add the butter and honey and .......hmmmm good. better plan on a hike to wear it all back off though, it's real good stuff.

ponderosa

Fried yeast dough is super yummy. When it is deep fried, we call it scones. When it is just pan fried in a bit of oil, we call it grease cakes. You can also fry quick baking powder dough. If you google recipes for Navajo bread, you'll get lots of hits for fried baking powder dough. It's fabulous, with chili on top, or for dessert with jam.

Ready

Grandma just uses her regular yeast dough. You can also just deep fry refrigerator bisquits. Flatten them out some and plop them in the grease until brown, add the butter and honey and .......hmmmm good. better plan on a hike to wear it all back off though, it's real good stuff.
I use yeast bread dough to make fried dough. I've also made refrigerator biscuit doughnuts you just make a hole in the center of the biscuit and then frost them with chocolate frosting from the can while the doughnuts are still hot.