15 Species Challenge 2011

Frederico

I'm challenging myself to catch 15 species of freshwater fish in 2011. I was going to set the challenge at 30 - but decided that I want to win this challenge !

I shall be targetting the following :

Brook Trout
Brown Trout
Lake Trout (Togue)
Land Locked Salmon
Splake
Rainbow Trout
Arctic Charr
Cusk
Rainbow Smelt
Lake Whitefish
Round Whitefish
Largemouth Bass
Smallmouth Bass
Northern Pike
Chain Pickerel
Black Crappie
Muskellunge
Yellow Perch
White Perch
Brown Bullhead (Hornpout)
Pumpkinseed Sunfish
Redbreast Sunfish
American Eel
Alewife

So I've planty of choice. Any advice ?

Bobby

Get a camera that will date-stamp your pictures. Keep a journal with the date, time, location, conditions, bait, notes, etc., along with a picture of your catch. By the end of the year you will have yourself a nice book!

Rookie

How did you come up with your list? Are these species that you have caught before? Are they all available in your area? We will all be here with "baited" breath, waiting to hear your progress.

Frederico

Hi Rookie - I came up with the list from reading about fishing in Maine and from friends who were "advising" me ... over beer ...

Lorax - I know they're small, someone suggested netting them - but I have to check out Maine's regulations.

Bobby - yes, I think that I will document my fishing year, good idea.

dinosaur - starting soon - watch this space

dinosaur

troublemaker
So, Frederico, how many so far? I've caught largemouth bass, rock bass, perch, bluegill, green sunfish, and sucker at this point in 2011. I'm looking forward to carp, salmon, various types of trout, smallmouth bass, channel catfish, bullhead (yellow and black) and hybrid stripers (wipers). That should round out around fifteen.

How much progress have you made?

hippieP

I know people hunt down dozens of types in games and some even local but I gotta wonder. Are you traveling far for your attempts to gather all these types or staying close to home?

limbs

This is an awesome idea. You have set yourself quite the goal. From what I see on your list some fish will be more difficult to catch than others. Lots of research will help you meet your goal.