A small hiking tip

Flatlander

I once read a sign outside of a Welcome Center that warned us all to "watch your step while hiking." I couldn't, and therefore didn't try to, contain my laughter as I walked inside. While this might actually count as sound advice for someone about to take their first steps on an unpaved surface, it's hardly the thing everyone needs to read; especially considering how few hikers ever bother to hit the visitors center upon entering a park. I'm far more likely to heed advice like "Sturdy/comfortable footwear is a must," or "Know where you're going and about how long it's going to take you to get there."

Last edited:

hikingshoes

When i was hiking for the first time, i was a newbie without the knowledge of the rules and the basics of hiking. So waht should one know before hiking? What to have?
Here is a small tip for that,
Start early, go fast and pack light.
Hope it helps someone.
Early sounds great,but fast isnt so good.After,i retired in 07,i didnt do any type of workout.I got up to 250lbs and Im 5'11''.I was going to do a overnight
hike in the smokies and couldnt even get up the Mnt.i got light headed,seeing stars,so i came back down.The next day i called the VA and ask for a stress test,which checked out ok.I got me a bike and couldnt ride a 1/2mile,but i still got on it everyday.After,aweek are so i got up to 1.5miles,anyway i worked up to 5miles,but i did it on my time and didnt push it.I started back hiking too,1-2miles for sometime,then i added my backpack and worked my way up to 12mile days and im down to 218lbs now.So hang in there and dont give up!!!and TAKE IT SLOW!!YOU CAN DO IT!!HS

Last edited:

Katielee

I have to admit, I pack light, and walk fast--It's a wonderful way to de-stress and unwind so I'm not out for a stroll. But I do take my camera, so there are quite a few stops for photo ops. In fact that's one of my points for going. Take it at the pace you enjoy, but do take time to enjoy the scenery.

LUV4NATURE

My friend is exercise u r doing or hiking? Because I hike to enjoy nature and be close to it, so what's the rush. Start early OK Pack lite OK, plan ur hike so u can enjoy, don't rush. Take a camera next time, that slow u down a bit.