Alligators

Alexis

Has anyone ever encountered an alligator in the wild while fishing or camping or hiking? What do you do when you see one? I should know this since I live in an area that has alligators, but I have no idea what my plan would be if I ran into one.

jason

fear no beer
I've seen them in the wild. I just keep my distance. Most of the time they sit just where they are. You really have to worry about if they have eggs around though.

campclose

Never! I've seen them in North Carolina. There was a sign and it said don't feed the alligators, I laughed and said nice sign. My brother said don't go in the water right here... there were alligators in it.

Chris

Oh my! I don't think I would wander from the camp site if that's the case. I would rather fight the bears than the alligators. I've always been afraid of those huge snouted things like alligators and sharks. So I guess I'll stick around the camp site with a good book and let everyone else wander around.

grand

Just the mention of alligators make my hair stand. I think if I encounter one in real life, I'd faint outright and won't know if it eats me alive.

Adventurelover

I have seen them in the wild but I have never had a close up encounter with one of them, that would be scary! The best advice I could give is to keep your distance. They say if you are running from one to run in a zig zag pattern.

Alexis

Jason - That makes sense about the eggs, but I guess there's really no way of knowing if they have eggs around or not, right? I mean, not that I want to approach an alligator, but the eggs would probably elevate the chances of having a problem.

Adventurelover - That's interesting advice. I never knew that you're supposed to zig zag. Hopefully I'll never have to put it into practice, but it's good to know anyway.

HappyFeet

I've never encountered alligators in the wild before. I've seen one episode of Man VS Wild where Bear Grylls wrestled with a young alligator. I would never do that for I might be the next meal of the alligator.