Always check the water.

striker

A guy just paralyzed himself from the neck down because he was drunk and forgot that his pool was empty, this reminded me how often this happens and could have been avoid by cheeking the water, I'm a fan of diving headfirst from 20-30 feet high, but I'd never jump if I didn't know the layout of the area.

FireBuilder

You'd have to be pretty drunk to not realize that there is any water in the pool. I always picture "checking the water" to mean wading through a pond or lake to make sure of the depth, and to find rocks or other hazards. Not to check to see whether the water is there!

Rookie

I agree with the dangers hidden in water. Even clear running streams can be deceptive. They can look deep and not be, or look shallow and not be. Always, always, always check it out first before you dive, swim, boat, play, etc.

Frederico

He must have been so highly intoxicated not to have noticed the pool was empty - however, had it been full and he was that drunk, going into water could have killed him outright. He's alive and hopefully his paralysis is not permanent.

Jade

Dennis Wilson of the Beach Boys drowned, yet he was a very very competent swimmer and surfer. He was very drunk at the time. John Denver died piloting an ultra-light: he was drunk at the time.

Booze really does impair you, and if ever there was an arguement NOT to drink alone, I suspect this would be it.

Then again, I remember cliff-diving as a teen, half-plastered.... that none of us were hurt or killed is a miracle in itself.

woodsman

You don't have to be that drunk, the lights are off you feel like going for a swim, but you are drunk enough that you forget the pool is empty, presto fractured spine for life. I imagine unless your James Bond and the bad guys are chasing you, there shouldn't be a valid reason for not cheeking first.