Anti-virus software.

MountainMan22

I'm looking to get an anti-virus software package and something to fight spyware, but there are too many to choose from. Preferbly, I'd like an inexpensive one that still does a great job protecting your system. I had McAfee, but I think it's kind of expensive and I didn't want to renew the membership from the one that came with my computer.

RedJasper

I'm looking to get an anti-virus software package and something to fight spyware, but there are too many to choose from. Preferbly, I'd like an inexpensive one that still does a great job protecting your system. I had McAfee, but I think it's kind of expensive and I didn't want to renew the membership from the one that came with my computer.
I use Advanced System Care---Free; the pro version is $12.

Lamebeaver

IMHO, McAfee takes up too many system resoures and doesn't do a good enough job of catching viruses.

I use Microsoft Security Essentials (free) and have been very happy with it. I also keep a copy of Malwarbytes anti-malware software handy just in case.

CozInCowtown

Ad-Aware is free and SpyBot Search & Distroy is free also.
I used them both in the past with good results.
Staying off the nakkid gurl sites will help also.
DC

safn1949

Avast is free and I hate to say it out loud...but I used to moderate a website that would embarrass my mom for many years and had zero problems.Excellent program along with windows firewall and a bit of common sense.:tinysmile_hmm_t:

MountainMan22

Wait, so I don't have to pay for it? I was told it was better to buy software because it's better quality. This Avast software is that good even though it's free? Does it detect spyware too? So I need three different software systems to handle, viruses, malware, and spyware separate?

IndianaHiker

Maleware and spyware are just different terms for the samething. Maleware is a term that basically means malicious software. Here is my current setup.

Windows Firewall Disabled ( Don't need firewall since I am behind a router. If a person can get past my router the firewall wont even slow then down)

Microsoft Security Essentials (Freebie from Microsoft)

That it is all I run for security. I have been doing this for some time and never had a problem. What saves me more than the software is thinking before clicking. I don't run as much stuff as most as I don't worry about getting hit. I have three hard drives. On the primary the only thing on it is for the most part Windows 7. All my data, music, photographs are stored on other drives. If I get hit I wont spend much time trying to get rid of it. I just wipe out my primary and reinstall Windows. No worries as I loose nothing since it is stored on other drives.

safn1949

I travel for a living and have run Avast and windows firewall for several years with zero problems,another good option if you want a pay program is NOD32.

The problem with programs like McAfee and Norton is they are overly intrusive and resource hungry.

EagleScout

Eagle Scout
MountainMan22,

The only benefit to paid anti-virus software is customer support getting in touch with you a day earlier and very little impact on the stability and outcome of the usage.

A free program, such as Avast which other posters have recommended (I like and use it as well), will do you much better. Being aware of websites you visit, being aware of downloads, and being aware of who can access your computer/network are the most important.