Anyone Caught Something Other Than Fish?

outdoors Joe

I've heard of people catching turtles, but never have caught one myself. Has anyone caught one or something else that wasn't a fish? What about a snake? Has anyone caught one? What did you do?

Last edited:

CFlyer

If inanimate objects are included then I caught a plenty. Shoes, cans, and even cassette tapes are just a few that I caught. There was one time I caught a frog and I thought frogs don't go underwater. :tinysmile_hmm_t:

trader

I almost caught a turtle once. I was very disappointed. I was a kid though, and I was pleased later that year I caught an old tricycle tire.

limaker

Yes turtles tends to get around here and there but for some reason I have never caught many. At least not as many as my buddy; who growing up we gave the name turtle too seeing as he always caught at least one during each trip out.

Grady

I caught an eel once and it chased me. Had to cut my line and run for it. Other than that, I have quite a list of garbage that has wound up on the end of my line. That always stinks when you think you have a bite and it turns out to be a shoe or a tire.

SmackontheWeb

Caught a bat once. Had a big blob of catfish dough on a hook and I guess when I cast it out, the bat swooped on it and got hooked.

campershell

Like everyone else, I've caught a lot of trash including underwear. Never caught anything unusual that is live though.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I take it this subject is in reference to accidentally catching a turtle or snake while hook and lining for fish as opposed to actually going turtling. I did catch a 20 pound snapping turtle once while catfishing. I have also caught quite a few painted turtles and the occasional terrapin. Also, when I was about ten, I caught a small leatherback. I've never caught a snake unless I intended to do it. The only other oddity I can remember was catching a Zippo lighter in a mass of seaweed I was hung on while trying to land a bass.

Dougdad

archeryaddict
I dragged in a boat motor one time, a 5 hp evenrude that was older than me. My dad and I cleaned it up and actually got the darn thing to run. Don't know how long it had been in the water, it was perty rusty and had to be bored out some.

jason

fear no beer
I had a friend catch me one time, right in the knee cap. I cannot think of anything other then trash off the top of my head. Although crabbing one time with the old pyramid traps, I managed to catch a blowfish.

hodo

I have caught turtlesup to 90 lbs, snakes up to 5 ft, a 4 ft alligator and got them all in the boat... still working to catch a catfish over 50 lbs...

topwaterking

I have caught a muskrat on a weedless minnow rig thought it was a big one out in the depths but saw it thrasing in wat later held it down and un hooked unhappy little guy snarled and took off

Frederico

Yes - I caught a huge frog of some sort once - it just looked at me and puffed up a bit. Inanimate objects include a denim baseball cap, a bicycle bell and a tiny wheel.