AT News

IndianaHiker

That so sad. The cause of death is not being listed at this time but does state " It appears Mr. Lilly was hiking the Appalachian Trail and the circumstances of his death are suspicious." Will be interesting to see what follows. The trail has and in my opinion still is a pretty safe place That if this is a murder I think is the tenth since 1974.

Soldat

I hiked a little piece of the AT back in the mid 90's. There had just been a murder of two female hikers at that time. Something about a guy stalking and killing them because they were lesbians. All the more reason to go armed. I will admit I was a bit foolish to carry 2 guns and 2 boxes of ammo to go along with the 65lb of other gear. Some hikers found all my MRE's and extra clothing piled neatly on the side looking for a new home. The PA section of the AT is no picnic.

IndianaHiker

I hiked a little piece of the AT back in the mid 90's. There had just been a murder of two female hikers at that time. Something about a guy stalking and killing them because they were lesbians. All the more reason to go armed. I will admit I was a bit foolish to carry 2 guns and 2 boxes of ammo to go along with the 65lb of other gear. Some hikers found all my MRE's and extra clothing piled neatly on the side looking for a new home. The PA section of the AT is no picnic.
Personally I would have left the firearms and the 2 boxes of ammo to reduce weight. That being said hike your own hike.

briansnat

Platnium Member
MREs are waaaay to heavy for backpacking food.

Back to the original subject, crime along the AT is unfortunate, but considering the millions who use it every year, it's pretty rare and probably safer than walking down a city street.

gregkthompson

That is so true. Imagine all that have thru hiked, and weekender that have been hiking since it opened. I only know of 3 murders that has happened on the trail.

Qweetzy

What a shame. I do carry when I go because I have a tendency not to trust people. There are too many nut jobs out there that want to hurt or kill someone rather than just leave others be. I feel sorry for the family and hope they find out who did it so they can have some closure.

Tubby

Awww man! That's just wrong. Some people don't have any problem with hurting others. They may as well have said that he was murdered since they said his death was suspicious. Other people are much more dangerous than any other animal on earth and a heck of a lot more unpredictable.

thymas

So sad. I hate to hear of situations like this. I try to always hike with other people to avoid situations like this...although if a predator is going to strike...a group of people may not deter them.