Be Aware Of Ocean Undertows

harmony

I had a swim once at La Jolla cove and it was nearly my last. There are some decent-sized caves in the cliffs, and I thought it would be amusing to check them out. I was young and immortal then, so the warning signs about undertows certainly weren't applicable to me.

Unfortunately, nobody informed the ocean that I was exempt from its laws. You guessed it; I got in but couldn't swim back out again due to the undertow.

Eventually, I stopped panicking and fighting the waves, and was able to sidle along the side of the cave to exit.

Judy Ann

The oceans and in fact all water deserves more awareness and respect than it usually gets. Thank you for reminding all of us to be more cautious as the summer season with all types of water fun begins. I liked your reminder to go with the flow if unable to swim to shore. Follow the current and head slowly to the side, above all Don't Panic! Parents should never leave their childrens side when near a body of water IMHO.

back2nature

I live on the beach and every year, we learn of someone being drowned by a riptide or being pulled under by the undertow. Usually several times a summer, actually, and it's so sad. People forget to respect nature and be wary.

ppine

Forester
I used to surf and boogey board a lot. And in many new and unknown places. Remember to swim parallel to the shore for a while to escape rips.

My brother was on his big cross-Africa trip in the 90s. They were stuck on the coast of Senegal for truck repairs, and passing time by playing drums and swimming. The local people said stay out of the water at the local beach. My brother having been on swim teams his whole life, ignored their warnings and nearly drowned in some massive rips.

I found a nice break on a beach in western Jamaica and went out with fins and a boogey board. During the first good ride I could see that the wave was created by an old ship wreck. My leg grazed a piece of rusted steel on the first and last ride on that beach.

LoveTheWater

We use to go to the beach a lot as kids and still do as adults and the undertow can be bad. The lifeguards will usually tell you if it is really bad but some just ignore it. And you are right about trying not to panic as that is usually what drowns a person.

ppine

Forester
Sometimes what drowns a person are steep unrelenting waves close together and a strong current pushing them out to sea.