Big tent or small?

Fluttershy

When you go hunting, do you take a big tent or a small one? I always try to go with the smallest tents that can fit the needed number of people. Small tents get warm faster, and I'm a big chicken about the cold

bsmit212

I dont do much hunting, but when I car camp.... If it is going to be chilly or cold at night then I will use the samllest tent I can for the same reason, it warms up faster. Lots of the time I will even take mulitple tents with me camping, have my 1 person to keep myself nice and warm, and then whoever else is using my gear and deal with warming up the big tent. However when it is warm, then I will just bring my big tent b/c I dont need the warmth and would rather have the space.

Lamebeaver

There's no way your're going to heat up a tent with body heat, but I still like small tents.

A 7x7 is just about right for two people and their gear. It's light enought to carry backpacking and it's also a lot easer to find a level spot to set it up.

Susie

I think it depends to a large extent on the kind of camping you intend to do. If you are backpacking, then a small tent is the way to to, as it weighs less and takes up less space.

briansnat

Platnium Member
I bring the tent that makes sense. If I'm carrying the tent on my back I bring the lightest tent we have. If I'm canoe or car camping I bring the largest one we have.

SpencerT

I prefer a small tent because I really don't like sleeping with a lot of people. Also, I never go with more than one other person anyways, so having a large family tent wouldn't make any sense for me. I don't spend much time in it anyways.

Tony

small tent is more safe than big tent .
How is a smaller tent safer than a big one?

I also like using a small tent just because smaller tent to be lighter to carry. I don't mind sleeping with someone else inside a tent as long as that person doesn't snore.

pastywhite

Grand Poobah
I ditched the tent and went with a hammock for backpacking but when we are at a campground I love my REI Hobitat. I can get a queen size air mattress in there and still have room for our clothes. Usually it's just me and my 2 kids.

Made me think though. The kids didn't go backpacking with me this summer and they have grown quite a bit. I'll have to come up with something for next summer. We all shared a 2 person tent before but they were much smaller then. Not gonna happen now. Hmm, maybe I can get them so share the tent and let me use hammock.