Bigger Tent?

BigBackyard

We're having a little 'discussion' within the family :tinysmile_hmm_t: They all want a new, bigger tent, mainly so they can take more gear along. I want to keep it light.

Why should I spend more money to just have more to carry?

2coastcamper

Well, it really depends on a lot. Are you backpacking in or just parking the car at a camp space? If you're hiking, then you definitely have a valid point. If you're car camping, then maybe you can have a discussion about a bigger tent.

HappyFeet

Bull's eye 2coast! :D

If they wanted to carry more things then let them carry it themselves. They should be the one to take charge of the things they wanted to bring and not you, if you wanted to carry light.

HillbillyMama

I say make them wait it out and get one like we did, well we have several now actually. The big HUGE several room ones with a central dome center go on clearance every year after camping season weather passes. I know we have one that was just $30 originally about $200!

OpenAir

Can you rely on them to carry their own gear? There are normally big promises but no one follows through on them, instead leaving the big people to do all the work.

looey

Do they need the stuff or do they want the stuff. I am never about to carry more than I need but sometimes a want can overpower a need and I have learned that the hard way.

Barney

In my family there is a 5 of us. We though of buying one big 5 person tent but we realized that it's much easier if we bought 2 tents that can take 3 persons. That way, luggage is distributed in half.

Newanderthal

several small tents makes more sense, especially since flat spots on the ground are rarely found in 12' x 14' squares.

OpenAir

This is a very good point! I would not have considered buying smaller to make it easier to find flat ground. Now, if you have kids, would you be happy with them sleeping in a tent that was separated from yours?

Smokey

several small tents makes more sense, especially since flat spots on the ground are rarely found in 12' x 14' squares.
Bingo! I discovered that after buying one of those huge tents that can hold bazillion people. If I had to do it over again, I'd get a couple of smaller tents.

HillbillyMama

Oddly enough here in Oklahoma we don't usually have any problems finding flat places to setup but I can see where in some areas it would be an issue. You can find small tents in bulk buys for like 5-10 of them if you look around for bulk or wholesale prices. :)