Buck Knives?

Johnny

I recently saw a Buck knife called the Hoodlum and it is one of the best pieces I have seen in my life. It is around $150 but definitely on my to-buy list. Have you seen it, have it?

craig

Such knives are great if you don't have an axe or a saw. They can easily chop down smaller trees and split big ones. Although if reviews are to be believed in, this is not the best chopper because it is too light for it's size, but it is incredible splitter.

Lamebeaver

For wood, I can usually just break branches over a log or a rock.

I'd hope I could find enough downed wood to make an improvised shelter without the need to chop down a live tree. If I really needed to chop down a tree, I'm not going to use a knife.

ppine

Forester
Buck is known for very sturdy, stainless steel knifes that last a long time. I find them too hard and difficult to sharpen, and much prefer the older carbon steel knives. Craig is right, they can do instead of an axe in a tough spot. I would rather have a sharp knife and an axe.

steves

The last Buck Knife I bought will probably be the LAST Buck knife I buy. I picked up a small belt clip folder and wouldn't you know Made in China,unfortunately for me I bought it while on a road trip or it would of gone right back to the store!!

Grandpa

I loved my buck until I had to sharpen it. I've never been a good sharpener to begin with and that knife was a beast to get back into shape.

CozInCowtown

From Cabellas listing on this knife..... http://www.cabelas.com/fixed-blade-knives-buck-knives-ron-hood-hoodlum-survival-knife.shtml?WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=1219581&rid=40&mr:trackingCode=07BDA838-8C73-E011-B343-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla
About Ron Hood (the designer)
Ron served as a member of the Military Intelligence Community while in the Army Security Agency.....
Not a sterling recomendation IMO, just some wire weasel "super soldier" I would guess.
I dont see alot to get excited about though some good design features.
My first observation is it is too big, hard to carry and bulky.
I carry a good K-Bar airforce survival knife when working overseas, good size in my experiance.
There is alot to be said for a good stockman pocketknife for a survival tool though I prefer a Case Sodbuster/Sodbuster Jr but that is a personal preferance.
DC

Last edited:

Michael

Big knives are fun, but not terribly practical. So if your goal is to have a huge choppy toy to play with, that looks like a good knife for it.

Me, I tend to go with a Mora, a Victorinox, and a saw. Not as much fun as a huge blade, but much more practical.

catspa

I've had good luck with domestic made Buck knives, never bought an imported one. Last I looked into it, they used 420 stainless which is fairly cheap and soft, but do some proprietary heat treating that makes it perform like 440 or slightly harder.

Their blades are easier to sharpen on diamond stones than oil or water stones, but power honing (say on a 1000 grit Makita wheel) works well to re-establish the edge geometry.

Parker

ppine

Forester
Catspa,

Good observations. I sometimes think the size of a man's knife in wild country is inversely proportional to his skill level. My Dad used to ask things like, sure it will skin a deer, but how is it for spreading mayo or gutting a trout?

lefties

The last Buck Knife I bought will probably be the LAST Buck knife I buy. I picked up a small belt clip folder and wouldn't you know Made in China,unfortunately for me I bought it while on a road trip or it would of gone right back to the store!!
email buck knives,,they will replace it free of charge with a usa made buck,,been there done that.
They were made for walmart and the discount stores only.
Chuck buck said it was their biggest mistake.
As always Buck has integrity,,if u cant sharpen a buck send it to them to do it. They are hard but hold an edge.

catspa

Well, historically the knife served as a secondary weapon in the era when guns were one-shooters. Now with the invention of reliable repeating firearms, I tend to think of the gun as a weapon, and knife as a tool. Most tool uses don't require a 12" blade, in fact it gets in the way.

That said, nothing wrong with carrying more than one tool. For me, Buck 110 or Case equivalent sheathed on the left side, small two blade jack in the coin pocket on the right.

I spread mayo much more often than I gut a deer...

Parker

lefties

Buck 110"s are excellant,,as are most Bucks. In my part of the world one needs a
bigger tool,,machete size works. No mayo out here,,,,dang this thing needs smilies........