Camping With Family..!!

PackAdventure

Camping with family - such a wonderful idea, isn't it?
It would be great experience to take family out for camping, every one gets to spend some quality time together, where as Kids are natural campers. Its a great way to plan out vacation in outdoor, instead spending time watching sport match or drama on TV or doing activities that you might not enjoy most of the time.
Rather I would say, Get Outside..!!

CozInCowtown

My favorite camping quote, especially when camping with foster kids is...."I want all you d*** kids to get out of camp and don't come back till dinner is ready!!".
Let kids be kids....within the rules!
JMO,
DC

ChadTower

So THAT is where all those extra kids on my site come from! I always show up with two and by the afternoon there are four or five. Sometimes there are more than that. Over the years I've lost track of how many extra hot dogs get passed out to random kids on my campsite. I've never been a big fan of feeding my kids while others stand around watching. Hang out on my site, end up with a hot dog, and no arguments.

Cappy

Chad, you just jumped way up in my book:tinysmile_twink_t2: If ya the kinda guy that kids choose to follow around and flock to ya uninvited that is the greatest testomony to your character that I can imagine. God bless ya dude.

TroyS

Oh most definitely! I'm really glad and lucky that my kids are very much into camping and spending time outdoors. Sure, my eldest would often have her gadgets with her. She's 13. Still, I can't complain.

ChadTower

Chad, you just jumped way up in my book:tinysmile_twink_t2: If ya the kinda guy that kids choose to follow around and flock to ya uninvited that is the greatest testomony to your character that I can imagine. God bless ya dude.

Heh, thanks. It doesn't really take much. Start a game of football or baseball and every 10 year old within earshot will show up. It always amazes me how many people will go so all the work of something like a camping trip and then not want to actually spend time with their kids. They'll sit off to the side with a book or their phone and say 5 words to the kid all afternoon. What's the point?

Gondor

The point is spending time with your kids but what is sad about it is that some people think they need some beautiful outdoor site to make it special.

ChadTower

I think it's more important now than it was when we were kids and a ton more than when Grandpa was a kid. When we were kids everybody would end up at the park and basketball games would appear on their own. Football games just happened. Now the kids won't go to the park unless an adult goes with them. The adult has little interest in being there and just stands around while the kid plays alone. God forbid the kid try to play with some other kids. They are expected to play near the other kids but not actually with the other kids. I think this becomes how the kids think and then when they're older and can roam they have no idea how to just join a group of kids and merge into their activity.

I've seen it a hundred times at a campground. 20 kids just milling around trying to find something to do, and every time they go near an adult, the adult tells them to go find something to do. But the kids don't know what to do because it's a strange environment with strange rules. They have no idea how to find the open space, set up a game, pick teams, and play a game.

What happens is I go to the common area with my boys and we'll start a game. Touch football, wiffle ball, something simple. The other kids see that an adult has started a game and that is what they are used to. Adults running any activity. As soon as there's an adult running the game every kid in the area ends up there and before long our 3 person game is an 8 person game. Then it's an 8 person game with a team awaiting their turn. I generally have no problems with this because I was a youth coach for years and I haven't forgotten what it's like to be a kid. Most adults have.

The thing that I will never understand is why so many parents will notice this, come over to watch, and then have no interest in joining. It's your kid, pal, maybe you'd like to come play with him too. I'm just another dad. I'm not a camp counselor.

tylert27

Definitely a great activity to do as a family! Some of my fondest memories as a child was going camping with my family and fishing with my dad up in the Uinta Mountains. I think mountains help kids forget about all the technologies that are so distracting in everyday life and help them focus on nature and family.

Grandpa

Definitely a great activity to do as a family! Some of my fondest memories as a child was going camping with my family and fishing with my dad up in the Uinta Mountains. I think mountains help kids forget about all the technologies that are so distracting in everyday life and help them focus on nature and family.
Welcome to the OBC forums TylerT. Where you located? Island Park, Uintas, those are some of my stomping grounds as well.

ppine

Forester
This is an important thread and shows a lot of what is wrong with modern child rearing.
My Dad took this same concept one step further. He would take kids with us whose parents never camped. Sometimes we would have 7-8 kids including me and my 2 brothers and only one adult. He taught us how to trap, find deer, be comfortable in boats, and how to cook. He talked the other parents into letting us do some great stuff like the two week long trips on an island in Chesapeake Bay when we were 12 and 13 with no adults around. If it weren't for my Dad, I never would have had a career in the outdoors.

My Dad is 88 now and still wants to go on one last deer hunting trip to No central Washington. Everytime I go fishing and hunting he is right there with me in spirit.

Last edited:

ChadTower

Heh, yep. My other hobby is pinball restoration and competitive pinball. I just took two of my boys' friends (along with my boys) to one of the last remaining truly great pinball arcades on Sunday. 90+ pinball machines about 80 minutes from where we live. Gave them $20 each in tokens and let them off on their own to experience pinball in a true arcade environment without an adult peeking over their shoulder. It took the two friends the whole first hour just to process the environment and figure out what to start doing.