Carrying Garbage

nomad

Whenever I go out in the wild, I make sure that my garbage will be properly disposed of. I normally put the wrappers or containers back into my bag after I ate the food or drank the juice if there are no waste disposal bin in the area. The thing is sometimes I forgot to throw them away and bring the garbage back to my home. :)

John13np

That’s why after not hiking for awhile it’s always a surprise when you start packing for your next trip. "Wow, I forgot about only eating half that cliff bar!":)

dinosaur

troublemaker
I don't really make any trash. I sometimes have a little paper but it burns readily and is used to start fires. What do you take with you while hiking or backpacking that creates trash? The only things I carry that aren't biodegradable go right back in my pack for use again.

If you're tailgate camping, it's a diffrerent story but then you have plenty of room for those big ugly plastic trash bags for pop and beer cans to go to recycling and all that plastic wrapper crap from foods you probably shouldn't even be eating.

I really don't understand it. Please, someone explain it to me.

Tony

I eat snacks while hiking. It could be chips or chocolate bars and the wrappers goes into my pocket and not in my bag. I guess nomad keeps them into his backpack.

John13np

Well, I guess not everyone does it, but if I eat a cliff bar, the wrapper goes into my pack. Its not bad to have trash in your pack, easy enough to clean out before your next hike :)

nomad

I really don't understand it. Please, someone explain it to me.
I love eating Granola bars and the plastic wrappers go to my backpack. Oftentimes I forgot to remove them and it stays there until my next hiking trip.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I love eating Granola bars and the plastic wrappers go to my backpack. Oftentimes I forgot to remove them and it stays there until my next hiking trip.
So... you don't create any trash either. Totally cool, nomad.

Frederico

Hump it in...hump it out!
- Ha ha ! Definitely ! It would be disrespectful not to take your trash with you. I imagine that most people on this site are both respectful and environmentally aware - but it is good to revisit this issue to gather ideas.

For example, I really like hikingshoes zioplock bag hung on the outside of the backpack idea. This is a great portable and easily accessible trash depository and one that I shall use in future.

Barney

Whenever I go out in the wild, I make sure that my garbage will be properly disposed of. I normally put the wrappers or containers back into my bag after I ate the food or drank the juice if there are no waste disposal bin in the area. The thing is sometimes I forgot to throw them away and bring the garbage back to my home. :)
I pack one or two huge black strong garbage bags (volume depending on amount of stuff that I carry) when camping. When hiking, larger zip lock bag would usually be enough.