Cross country skiing

outdoorsy

What is the farthest you have cross-country skied? My daughter wants me to go on some field trip with her and it is cross country skiing through a local State Park. The paper said we would be going about 15 miles. To me that sounds like a really long distance? Can I do it?

Hikebike

15 miles sounds like a long trip but then again I don't ski. I wouldn't want to walk it with a bunch of kids. I bet it's not too far though if it's a field trip. Sure I think you can do it!

ponderosa

I'd call the school; I suspect a typo. I love x-country skiing, and 15 miles is a pretty long day for just about anyone. I can't imagine doing it with an entire class of typical kids, many of whom have probably never been on skis before. If this is an elementary school class with beginning skiers, I'd guess the paper should have read 1.5 instead of 15.

Last edited:

LindaLou

I'm not a skier either and I know that sounds like a long ways! Especially with a bunch of kids that are how old? I guess if you are an expert skier that may not sound like a long distance?

T

tentrus

Wow, 15 miles is very long for kids. I like to cross country ski and I would not want to go that far - with or without kids. I bet your daughter misunderstood - or at least I hope she did!

Joe S.

That does sound pretty far. Probably best to double check that. If you are an inexperienced cross country skier, you should probably pass if it is that far.

ppine

Forester
I used to have a mine site that required monthly water quality sampling at an elevation of about 8,000 feet in central Nevada.

We used to drive to the end of the road in the dark, then ski downhill 2,000 feet into Birch Creek Valley, ski 8 miles downstream, 8 miles upstream and carry 30 pounds of water samples and our gear back up 2,000 feet hopefully by dark.

Fifteen miles on skis is an easy day on level to moderate topography with fast tracked snow. It would be a hard day in steep topography if you had to break trail, or have transitional snow. Fifteen miles would be ambitious for kids under any circumstances.

In the Olympics, races (sprints) are usually 10, 25, and 50 kilometers, 6, 15 and 30 miles.

Fox38

Wow, that sounds like a long skiing trip for kids (and for me too). I would think twice about going! PPine that was amazing information - I did not know any of it. Thanks for sharing.