Do you prefer wood or synthetic stocks on your firearms?

Do you prefer wood or synthetic stocks on your firearms?

• Wood

Votes: 19 67.9%
  • Synthetic

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • No Preference.

Votes: 6 21.4%

• Total voters

dinosaur

troublemaker
Accuracy is most important to me. I don't care what the stock is made with as long as it's durable.

wvbreamfisherman

I admit to the superior charecteristics of synthetics, but I prefer the feel of wood in my hands. I guess that makes me hopelessly old-fashioned in these days of "tactical" black crap.

oldsarge

It really doesn't matter to me as long as it's good quality. Wood does look much nicer, but synthetic will take more abuse. I'll vote wood only because of the craftsmanship that can go into it. I've seen some really nice woods stocks on rifles!

Camoguy

I like the "feel" of wood stocks rather than the synthetic. I do agree that accuracy is vitally important but it's just a personal preference rather than a performance issue.

Greatoutdoors

Wood but I love old Mausers.Synthetic is better if you are concerned with accuracy mostly.
I had not heard this before. Is it because the synthetics are lighter than wood would be? I don't have a preference although my husband says I am such a girl because I choose my guns first on how they look, and then on how they feel. ;)

wvbreamfisherman

Mainly because synthetics are so dimensionally stable and strong. Wood tends to swell and shrink over time, and even may warp, putting pressure on the barrel.

A good glass bedding job will help a lot with that.

safn1949

Mainly because synthetics are so dimensionally stable and strong. Wood tends to swell and shrink over time, and even may warp, putting pressure on the barrel.

A good glass bedding job will help a lot with that.
It will but all it takes is a hairline crack and your accuracy goes out the window as it did with my carefully bedded model 70.

With a good synthetic stock you will be tightening the receiver to metal blocks and when torqued properly with an inch pound torque wrench it will take out any variations from humidity and temperature you will see with wood.Also the barrel will be fully floating at all times.

In long distance shooting consistency is the key.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Dale Mitchell

The only time I have ever used synthetic stocks was my days in the service. Since I was a kid of nine I have always had wood stocks and up till recently open iron sites.

greybeard58

I prefer wood due to the warm feel and balance that wood gives. Most synthetic stocked guns are "front heavy" due to the lighter stock. As for accuracy, given todays modern laminated woods and free floated barrels, there is not much difference in accuracy between the two as there once was.

Newanderthal

Wood stocks can warp slightly. However, if it's a quality stock and properly coated with a sealant (like polyurethane) and glass bedded (so there's a small spacer just below the action of the rifle lifting the action, chamber and barrel away from the stock by about 1/64 inch) the stock will not alter the trajectory. Then you can have the beauty of a wooden stock with the accuracy of a synthetic.

Besides, I challenge any synthetic stock to make a Ruger 10/22 look this good

Last edited: