Do you schedule of go on the fly

oldmangunner

I don't get to crazy with it but I usually add hikes I want to take to my monthly schedule. I am so busy that I won't hike if I don't schedule it. Do you schedule your hikes, or just go on the fly?

jason

fear no beer
I do not schedule anything. Too much seems to happen when I do. Sort of like I wanted to get out earlier this week until my son had a slight accident. So that put an end to that. Maybe one day, when the kids are older, and things have relaxed some around the house I can schedule something.

Oh, I take that back. The wife and I are going kayaking for our anniversary. So I guess we did schedule something. *crosses fingers nothing happens Monday*

Grandpa

Each of the three groups I hike with every summer schedule during the preceding winter. I then have to write in the family must do's around those, and the rest is my time to go or stay.

Judy Ann

I'm a planner. If there is time in between scheduled trips I might take off on a whim. SPOT comes in handy at those times!!!

ponderosa

Dayhikes or camping trips with the family are sometimes spontaneous, but if I want to hike without the kids, it requires significant planning ahead to accomodate hubby's work schedule or other child care arrangements.

Fox & Hounds

I've done both. I learned the hard way I am one that needs to plan. Especially if I want to have all the things I'll need in my pack. Like, food. ;)

T

tentrus

Most times we just go, no schedules. When we go with other people we schedule the hikes. Things change all the time so really I'm not a great scheduler. We hike all the time around our area.

Lorax

I schedule the big ones, but there's too often, I'm forced to rush home from work, throw together a backpack full of gear, grab a sandwich at Subway, stuff it in the pack and hit the local trails for an overnighter if I'm lucky.

Sadly, it's the only way I can make it work out most of the time anymore.

hippieP

If everything is packed up and you can head out quick its fine, when you try to juggle Friday traffic on the way home, snag the kids up and the spouse, then rush off and no one packs food. You find it when you get there, ack! Its easier to plan it out ahead of time.

kunzr88

Gotta love a busy work schedule. When relaxing with the wife and dog watching some television I am always messing with some sort of equipment adding and taking it away form my day pack. My day pack is always ready to go. So whenever I want the time out in the woods I just get up and go. As far as staying out for a night, its usually with family or friends. A little more planning goes into it and for some strange reason there is always something we don't need in the bed of the truck.