Do you take your pets hiking?

Newanderthal

but it'd be a nightmare if she decided to run off after a fox or bunny or something.
Always keep your dog on a leash. If it's running loose it will harass the local wildlife and possibly kill the wild animals. In many places it's illegal to let your dog run loose for this very reason.

Dusty

We have two Chesapeake Bay Retrievers. They were bred to be out in the field. We wouldn't DARE go hiking without them! (They know ALL the signs of preparing for a hike.)

Hikenhunter

I take my dog on day hikes and backpacking trips. When I am in the campgrounds, and especially if we are leaving the camp to go to other places where canines might not be welcome he stays at home with my son or on rare occasions he has spent several days at the kennel wich is run by our vet.

hiking_and_biking

We have two dogs that have only been hiking with us once. We'd love to take them more, but neither are "car trained", so long rides are not an option for us... at least not yet. ;)

mccallum

Both of our dogs have hiked with us; both are capable of doing so off lead. The little one (small terrior mix)amazed us when we allowed her to do so (she has never been trained to walk off lead) she stayed with us very well. The younger bigger male (lab mix) I have worked with to walk off lead so his doing so was not that big of thing; he and I walk daily with hom off lead in the town we live in so I know he will do work off lead well. The little one has also camped with us but did not like the heat (poor things like me; want the AC! IT was 110 in the shade that week end!!)