Does Anyone Hunt At the Pay Places?

WalkingMan

We have a couple of pay to hunt places around us, one for phesant and one for deer. I honestly don't see the point since the animals or fowl are not as wild as the ones outside of these places. If I hunt, I want to hunt, not kill it like you would a beef. Does anyone else hunt like this?

dinosaur

troublemaker
I think you should rename this string: Does anyone harvest at the pay places?". To me, it's not hunting.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Cowtown, the inference is the "Put and Take" places or those game ranches where they manage large herds of animals and let you go into a many acred habitat and shoot a deer, elk, bison, etc; then charge you by the pound after they butcher and package your meat.

limbs

I learned to hunt at a pay place, it was for bore. Now, many bore have escaped and they are asking hunters to try to hunt them. It is more fun now that they are escaped and not trapped.

Grandpa

I learned to hunt at a pay place, it was for bore. Now, many bore have escaped and they are asking hunters to try to hunt them. It is more fun now that they are escaped and not trapped.
Some guy moved in around here and leased hunting rights on several adjoing places. He then raised a bunch of pheasants and grouse for pay to hunt. He had just enough city folks show up to chase all his birds off the lease so the rest of us had good free hunting. At first, he would run around and try to get the locals to pay because they were his birds but he didn't have much success there.

oldmangunner

Haha, yeah that does tend to happen Grandpa! Limbs, we had the same issue here. If someone is going to run a pay place they need to make sure they do not let a bunch of invasive species loose.

southerngal

We pay a guy to be able to hunt on his land but it's just woods that he lets us use. Not like a ranch where the animals are locked in and you can kill them while they feed.

guns4570

There was a time when game ranches, hunt, trophy for a pay were the only places some exotic species existed. The YO ranch in South Texas in th 50s, imported Black Buck antelope, Muflon, Corsican, Aoudad rams, Seika and Fallow deer. Most of these animals were near extension or to the point they could not be hunted in there native habituate. By the 60s the ranch had inceased there heard of animals that they allowed hunting. The game biologist managed the exotics, white tail deer and Turkeys to the point hunting was allowed. All hunters were guided by a game biologist and only fair chase was allowed. Yes the YO was among the first high fence ranches but it was a working cattle ranch at the same time. The YO was far ahead of other big ranches in Texas. I the 70s the governments of India and Japan ask the YO to help reestablish black buck antelope and Seka deer in there native habitat. Both species were extinct in there native country. The Game biologists at the YO helped each country to reestablish the animals and now there are health hards in there native land. Now it is another thing to go to a high fence ranch that is in the money business. Most used research from Texas A&M University to start breading programs for Whitetail deer and if you hunt on those ranches you are looking at $4-$10,000 to shoot a record book deer. In my openion they are in it for the money, not the sport.

Last edited:

CozInCowtown

Cowtown, the inference is the "Put and Take" places or those game ranches where they manage large herds of animals and let you go into a many acred habitat and shoot a deer, elk, bison, etc; then charge you by the pound after they butcher and package your meat.
Okay, what is the differance between that and McDonalds?
Who kills the critter?
This might be a good way to introduce someone to hunting if done right. How to properly kill and harvest an animal.
I would prefer to harvest my own meat.
DC

Grandpa

We have a couple of pay to hunt places around us, one for phesant and one for deer. I honestly don't see the point since the animals or fowl are not as wild as the ones outside of these places. If I hunt, I want to hunt, not kill it like you would a beef. Does anyone else hunt like this?
People that are lousy hunters, people who are too lazy to hunt, people with more money than they know what to do with, people who are hunting for bragging rights rather than meat or the ambiance of the hunt. Take your pick or take all of them.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Okay, what is the differance between that and McDonalds?
Who kills the critter?
This might be a good way to introduce someone to hunting if done right. How to properly kill and harvest an animal.
I would prefer to harvest my own meat.
DC
I guess the real difference is it takes longer to get the food. McDonalds is faster. But I can't eat McDonalds' food, it makes me sick. I've also never paid to hunt but I know people who have. Believe it or not, there are places where they drive you to a deer stand and drop you off. The stand is placed near a feed station and they tell you the approximate time when the deer will show up. You sit and wait and when the deer you want walks up, you shoot it. It's all done in a large (hundreds of acres) compound with ten foot high fences where people will pay as much as $10,000.00 to harvest a trophy buck.

This takes the "hunt" out of the equation and may be the reason for the existence of groups like PETA. Why do people do it? Because they can.

ppine

Forester
No offense to anyone, but why would you live in a place where that kind of thing even exists?

Texas is a good example of a State with no public land. If you want to hunt, you arrange a lease on someone's land, or a game farm. Yuck.