Dogs Hiking

HikingGuy

Does anyone take their dog or dogs hunting with them? I want to start taking my dog but I don't know how he would react in the woods, any suggestions?

mthiker

hiking with dogs

I have taken all my dogs out hiking and have all starting out as puppies. If you have an older active dog who likes to run, it would probably love to have the freedom to run as long as it doesn't have a tendency to run away. I would start out with short distances and see how it goes. There were times that I ended up carrying the puppies. I haven't had a dog yet that doesn't like to go hiking.

Mysty1

I'd love to take my dog with me but she gets so excitable I'd be concerned about her running off in unfamiliar territory. I see others along the way whose dogs are exploring and having a great time so I think it could be possible but training would be needed especially if it we're for hunting.

CatsEye

I've had bird dogs in the past and loved hunting with them. I've also had rabbit dogs to hunt with. I love to hunt with dogs. They are company and also do quite a bit of work scouting out the prey.