Dreading the heat & high electric bills!

LoveTheWater

I'm glad that summer is here and we can go out and do more outdoor activities. The one thing that I don't like is having to turn on the AC and getting those high electric bills. :tinysmile_hmm_t2:

Greatoutdoors

I know what you mean. We finally had to turn our AC on last week because it was so hot and humid. Now that the hubby is unemployed though we may just be using the AC at night. I think last year's summer bills ran around $250 and that would be a struggle to come up with right now.

love2hike

I know what you mean as well. For over 20 years, we didn't have central air in our house - we only had window unit air conditioners. As a result, by August our power bill would be running close to $400 dollars. When we had central air installed, it cut our power bill in half, month for month - thank God! - but even a $200 dollar power bill is an issue when money is tight!

Pathfinder1

Hi...

A/C can certainly be used around here at various times during the summer, but A/C is not that common, excluding installations in the newer homes.

I use some fans on the hottest days/nights, and that works quite well...plus no high electric bills for A/C.

ppine

Forester
Turn up your thermostat, add insulation, plant trees on the south and west sides of the house, etc. I don't know where you live, but I cannot imagine a $300 power bill.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
Our heating bill in winter is always higher than our cooling bill in summer... It strikes me funny when people start complaining about summer a/c bills.

back2nature

I know what you mean as well. For over 20 years, we didn't have central air in our house - we only had window unit air conditioners. As a result, by August our power bill would be running close to $400 dollars. When we had central air installed, it cut our power bill in half, month for month - thank God! - but even a $200 dollar power bill is an issue when money is tight!
I never realized that central air is less expensive than window units.

We live in New England and near the ocean so I'm lucky in that we rarely have a day without a breeze coming in from one direction or the other. We have a window A/C in the living room only, and only use it a handful of days usually.

Luv2Camp

We've had our AC on since the middle of March. It's been a very odd year here (so far) weather-wise. We had almost no winter and went straight from there to summer.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
Shop for electric rates?? Where I'm from, one would have to move to change companies
Same in our area. Your power company is determined by your address and whose lines you are connected to. I live at the edge of a housing development. I have one company, whereas the people in the development are on another. I can lose power and they have it, or they can have it and I dont. Its two different circuits.
Cable TV is the same way. Time Warner is the only game in town, unless you get a dish.

LoveTheWater

Well it seems others have this same problem with high electric bills. We are in Florida and our address also determines which company you use, so we don't have much choice.

CozInCowtown

Texas deregulated several years ago.
OnCor owns the power lines but we can choose the provider/who does the billing.
It was wonderful to give TXU and later Ambit the boot, just let the free market do its job.
DC

Grandpa

Texas deregulated several years ago.
OnCor owns the power lines but we can choose the provider/who does the billing.
It was wonderful to give TXU and later Ambit the boot, just let the free market do its job.
DC
I'm begining to like Texas more all the time.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t