Drinking Rainwater

CFlyer

Is it still safe today to drink rainwater? I remember my father use to collect rainwater when we are camping out. We would drink that and tastes good. I wonder if we can still do this today without the thought of water pollution.

TribalP

Unless the air in the area you collect rainwater in is heavily polluted, I think the water is still safe to drink. It's like distillated water, pure and clean.

Newanderthal

not in SW Louisiana. There's so much crap in the air around here it's pathetic. One night the rainwater smelled like rotten eggs.

lbean

It depends on your area. SW Louisiana is one place where you do not want to drink the rainwater. I would not drink rainwater near any big city either (one with factories and such). If you are out in the country it would be a different story though.

oldmangunner

I think the only real way to know if your rainwater is safe to drink is to get a sample and have it tested. In this day and age it is not really that expensive to do.

CFlyer

I'm not near SW Louisiana but I agree that we shouldn't drink rainwater in areas where there is heavy air pollution. I still wonder if we can still drink rainwater in areas where there is no pollution at all. I mean clouds travel so the rainwater in our place could have come from a different location.

campclose

I don't see anything wrong with drinking the rainwater. You would drink it if you had to right? We water our garden with rainwater and the veggies are thriving, so why would it be bad to drink?

Bruen

As for me, I'm boiling any rainwater I collect. Why gamble? I have no idea what could be in the air around here, but I'm not going to go out of my way to get it tested either. If I lived near the Gulf perhaps I would.