Entertaining Young Campers

Trekker

I work at a summer camp where every two weeks a group of teenaged campers are taken on a 9-mile trek and then camp in tents overnight in a campground. Every time we go, some councelors help the 20 or so kids set up the tents while others cook, everybody eats, and then inevitably after dinner is over there is this long span of "down" time before the kids have to go to sleep.

I want to do something productive, entertaining, and camping-related with this time. Teach a lesson about nature or something like that. Any suggestions, anyone?

Taggart

When I was younger, I remember getting into stories around the campfire. The counselor told some scary stories, which I later assumed were designed to discourage us from wandering off later in the week.

2coastcamper

I don't know ... scary stories might be a little juvenile for teenagers. I think something a little more interactive might work better. Perhaps teaching them some survival techniques. Like how to make an emergency harness out of rope. Or how to make and bait deadfall traps. I'd suggest teaching how to make a lean-to shelter using only what you can find in the woods ... but I realize it'll be dark during your "down" time. Perhaps you can still do that if you gather the materials beforehand. You could teach the basic construction of the structure.

HikerChick

The summer camp I worked at last summer banned scary stories because, believe it or not, there are teens out there that get extremely freaked out by them, especially while camping in the unfamiliar woods. I like the survival skills idea...related and possibly something they'll use one day!

Live2Camp

How about a treasure hunt? It would take some planning on your part but might be fun. Make a list of nature related objects (that won't hurt the environment if removed) like a black rock, pine cone, etc. Then split them into groups and which ever team gets back with all the items has bragging rights (or doesn't have to clean up the area that day).

2coastcamper

You have to keep in mind that it will be dark.

But speaking of the day. I remember once when I was a teenager, we played flashlight tag in the dark. But we were in one of those combined neighborhood backyards. So, probably not something you'd want to try in a campsite that might have hazards. But, if you're in one of those group campsites that is basically one of those massive fields, it might be an option.

I don't remember the rules, but I'm betting if you googled "flashlight tag" you could find 'em. Probably doesn't have really in-depth rules, anyway.

NatureLover

I remember when I was younger and we had these trips. I recall my favorite game, although sometimes it could be somewhat icky, was an absolute blast.

One of the counselor's or even a couple of them would gather everyday items as well as nature items and place them where none of us could see them. Blindfolds would be handed out and we'd all cover each other's eyes.

Next, a counselor would take one item and pass it to each of us to try to guess what it was. Of course, we kept it a secret and after each round we would write down what we thought the item had been. Whoever had the most correct items labeled would win of course.

I remember once no one could guess what this awful item was, at the end it was revealed that it was a raw egg. It was one of the oddest feeling things I'll never forget!

Campy

Capture the Flag is always fun (rules can be found online).

Get a bunch of T-shirts (or have them bring a blank one) fill the table with colored sharpies and let them design their own shirts. I did this with the kids on our trip (10 of them) they loved it and they came up with some great designs too.

Campfire games:
"The Ministers Cat" You go around in a circle starting with the letter A
"The Ministers Cat is an __________ Cat" (Insert adjective that begins with the letter you are on.) Each person takes a turn, clapping as they take a turn.
I got the game from the Movie Scrooge, Here's a clip, (kinda hard to explain the game)
YouTube - The Minister's Cat

failghe

Oh yeah I remember playing a game with my Grandma. We decided to use "names" and start with the letter A then B and so on. I would say Albert, she would say Bertha and so on taking turns. Or we would pick "citys".
Or ad lib books are always fun.
Also you can make up a story. You say my name is Fred. Then the person sitting next to your left says I live on a farm. Then the next person says I ride a cow to the store. And next thing you know you have made up a funny story.

Newanderthal

the survival skills idea is cool, entertaining and useful.

Show them how you can boil water in a plastic bottle (tie a string around the neck of a 2 liter bottle and hang it from a stick. fill the bottle halfway with water and dangle it over the fire. As long as the flames don't come up over the waterline, the bottle will not melt and the water will boil.) you can turn stream water into drinkable water this way.

teach them how to start a fire with one match. show them how to gather dried grass and small twigs and build a little tee pee out of tender.

Get some cheap sharpening stones and show them how to sharpen a knife properly. None of these kitchen sharpeners with the V shaped rods. Just a simple stone and a little spit.

Teach them to tie a bowline knot.

Challenge them to each find five pieces of trash in the immediate area and toss them in the fire or trash bag. Tell them the importance of keeping the place free of litter. Make sure they understand that it's not a chore, but that they're playing a part in preserving nature. Make them feel accomplished that they picked up a few gum wrappers and cigarette butts.

Get some rope and sticks and have some of the campers make a splint for another. He can be the 'injured' one. They have to make a splint for him and a crutch. This is rarely taught or practiced, but twisting or breaking an ankle is quite common. I've done several miles on a quickly-fashioned crutch after a sprain on a solo trip. It's a good skill to learn.

Last edited:

Trekker

Oh wow, so many great ideas! Thank you for all of the games, guys, especially the flashlight tag link! Some games will be harder to do because, yes, it will be dark and this isn't an open field campsite. :( I'll work with it, though, I think I can adjust flashlight tag to fit my needs. :)

hweiner

So happy I came across this post because I will be going on a camping trip with my husband and his sister's two teenaged boys, ages 13 and 15, in a few weeks and I wasn't sure what I should be doing with them to keep them engaged and having fun.. please keep the suggestions coming!!
P.S I played flashlight tag as a child too ::sigh:: the good ole days...

Grandpa

For bigger groups try these;

water balloon toss, fill small balloons with water, teams of two, pass the balloon to partner, take a step back, toss again. Team lasting the longest wins. Adults get ready to duck !!

If you have a grassy area on a slope, a water slide is great. Again, adults get ready to duck when it turns into a water fight.

At our family reunions we always have a "guess how many pieces of candy in the jar".
Fill several small jars with various candies, pennies, etc. Closest guess wins the jar.

Get a set of water based craft paints, have a rock painting station where the kids can paint up a rock. (make sure the paints are water soluable so they can wash off)

For small groups such as single families, it depends on kids interests. The above mentioned survival skills, name that plant on a nature hike, etc. We usually have the kids do a survival skill program where each one is given a task before hand to learn and present to the rest. Since we usually have a fire, one kid is chosen to build that fire. After he/she finishes preparation, we have a little ceremony while they ignite it. (their first time is with a single wood match, after that they have to use another method.)

MtMakiling

War game at night is so much fun. Make them wear dark clothes. The aim is to capture the flag of the opponent without getting captured. Once a member is captured he is dead.

BUUZBEE

Tent Camper :)
How about a treasure hunt?
I was thinking the same thing... a scavenger hunt (for daytime) done in say groups of 3-5 so no ones out getting lost!

nightime... maybe a camping/outdoors/nature themed charades?

Last edited:

oldsarge

I don't know ... scary stories might be a little juvenile for teenagers. I think something a little more interactive might work better. Perhaps teaching them some survival techniques. Like how to make an emergency harness out of rope. Or how to make and bait deadfall traps. I'd suggest teaching how to make a lean-to shelter using only what you can find in the woods ... but I realize it'll be dark during your "down" time. Perhaps you can still do that if you gather the materials beforehand. You could teach the basic construction of the structure.
Absolutely, conduct some type of adventure training. Rope & knots, rope bridges, basic rappelling. Have some materials on hand to practice alternative ways to start fires. Field expedient litter to move someone who's injured. Something that pertains to the situation they are in.

CozInCowtown

Just turn them loose, they will entertain themselves.
When we take the kids camping we intentionally don't provide entertainment. No phones, tvs, radios or anything like that. Fishing poles and .22s are some of the exceptions depending where we are at.
Set up a set of rules and parameters then kick them out of camp for awhile.
JMO,
DC