essential gear

castor0troy

Hi guys
i am a business man and i wanted to open a shop selling gear for outdoor camping[summer] and sports.
can you guys provide your input in making a list of gear thats essential/

my list is
1-water bottle
2-knife
3-shoes
4-utensils

anything else you guys can add?

thanks
sam

John13np

What about packs? I know it's an investment, but would it be worth it? I'm not talking about expensive backpacking packs, but daypacks. Such as camelbacks. That mould sell good I’m bettin. Good to start with anyways yeah?

Refrigerator

Hi guys
i am a business man and i wanted to open a shop selling gear for outdoor camping[summer] and sports.
can you guys provide your input in making a list of gear thats essential/

my list is
1-water bottle
2-knife
3-shoes
4-utensils

anything else you guys can add?

thanks
sam
I suggest Hiring me to set this store up.
Go and visit several gear shops outfitter stores and go from there. You also need to know how to use that gear to sell...so Hire me and you cannot loose.

Lorax

Do the research. Look at what other online retailers offer. Most people in this world are NOT the outdoor types, so you would need to balance your gear selection between the die hards and the casual outdoor people types to stay in biz.

Network, know everything about what you sell, sell online and do whatever you have to do to keep the interest in your customers.

Gondor

Don't just number sporadic items. First thing you need to do is list all the categories of gear and then subcategories and only then you go into specific items. As others have said - do the research - to some people, including me, this is a science.

Barney

Good advice so far and oh yea...Hire me to set up your store. I am well know throught the US as a GEAR nut. 1/3 of my home has GEAR rooms.
I would very much like to visit your gear rooms. :) I hope this didn't sound too creepy. :D

woodsman

I wouldn't open any kind of business without thoroughly doing research on what goes and what doesn't in the particular area you are setting up shop in. You also might want to hire somebody who knows his way around camping gear since most people shop in brick and mortar stores for the personal input they can get from an expert.

Frederico

All the above is great advice - one thing I found to be most useful was being able to talk to somebody who knew about the right size of backpack relative to intended use and size of person. He adjusted the straps and explained why the straps should be as he set them.

After that my pack was so comfortable - I could carry more for fruther than I nad been able to do in my old, badly chosen pack.

Hire Refrigerator !

IndianaHiker

All near backpackers will need the big three:
Sleeping Pad
Sleeping Bag Tent

But as other have said look at other outfitters in your area. I would also try to carry a mix of price points.

Also get some staff that know what they are doing.

Joe S.

Maybe you should start out just specializing in certain types of gear like just back packs and hiking boots for starters, and just start adding other kinds of gear as you learn and grow.

Bud

If you do a little research I'm sure you could determine what the items that are in most demand are. That could be a good starting point too.