Ever fought a wild animal...?

FreshAirLover

I was wondering:has anyone around here ever fought a wild animal, or do you know anyone who has fought one? Has anyone been injured while camping in the wilderness?

Do you have any experiences to share?

oldsarge

Not animals but had several run-in's with insects! Big time ant battles in Panama!

DThewanderer

I had a fight with a brown recluse, went kind of like this. Was digging around in the firewood, saw something crawling on my arm. Killed it, looked at it because it looked familiar. Well it was a brown recluse. Doh. The bite didn't even hurt at first, but then, oh my did it hurt! For weeks, and weeks it hurt. Still have a scar from it.

FreshAirLover

Sweet Jesus! You got bitten by a brown recluse?! Oh dear, that must have been really painful! I saw several infected wounds caused by this type of spider at the hospital where my brother works, and they looked absolutely horrifying.

How long did it take to heal, if I may ask...?

Michael

I have not personally had to fight off any wild animals, but I interact on another forum with someone who has. I don't know the details, but he basically got into a fist fight with a deer. He won, but had several broken bones and was on major pain meds for a while.

Ilovelife

Not every brown recluse bites end up with necrosis, or death of the skin. DT was lucky he saw it, my guess is that he killed it before the bite was too deep. The deeper the bite the worse and the more venom the spider puts in the worse. Your lucky DT.

Grandpa

Yes, I am married to her and we have a licsense to fight.
95# of pure wild animal and we have 3 incredible kids to prove it...... :moony:
ROFL Coz Trouble is, I can relate to that as well.

I also ran afoul of a brown recluse, or so I was told, but there was no pain. Didn't even know I had been bit, but it was small, about quarter sized and 1/2inch or so deep when the dead chunk fell out.

Ran afoul of a holstein bull one time. Got a good look at the roof of the barn before I came down. Luckily landed on my feet and had elbows swinging and made it back in the barn before he hit again. Bull went for a one way ride the next day.

Another time, different bull, looked out the window and the cows were out. Jumped in the truck and headed over to the corrals to head them off. Saw the bull standing in the gateway shaking his head kind of saying "I dare ya" so grabbed a pitchfork. Just then, wife came around the corner of the house about 200 yards across the field to help. Bull saw her and away he went. I screamed at her, she saw the bull and ran for the house. When she went around the corner of the house out of sight the bull was less than 20 feet away. I grabbed my rifle from the truck and took of running. Just then, I hear a kaboom, a bull bellow, and around the house he came bellering like a banshee and right behind him came wife jacking another shell into the 12 guage. Bull survived the shot but not the oneway ride.

Yep, I hear ya Coz, don't mess with a redheaded redneck.

LittleLady

95# of pure wild animal and we have 3 incredible kids to prove it...... :moony:

That's hilarious :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

No, no fighting wild animals here. I know I've read on what you are supposed to do in those situations, but I know I would forget 99% of it and just freak out. I hope to never encounter that situation.

IndianaHiker

Had a raccoon chase run me away from her tree before. No battle here I just left. They maybe cute but they sure do have some claws and teeth.

EyeOfThePark

Does hitting a large polecat with a thick branch, to defend myself against the dumb creature who attacked me for no reason count as fighting a wild animal? I was walking through the woods and the polecat just snapped at me from behind a rock... I hit it in the head with the nearest thing I could get my hands on and the animal ran away.

DThewanderer

Yeah, I think that counts. Sorry to hear about that happening to you. I wonder if that is a situation where you would have to worry about the animal having rabies. Do pole cats get rabies?

Newanderthal

wrangled a gator and a few large snakes because they were seriously injured and I wanted to doctor them up. They all recovered nicely.

I do get attacked by my adventure dog when I return home from a few weeks of trucking. I think he gets rabies when I walk through the door the first time.

Gunny

Semper Fi
That's funny as shit.

Never fought with a wild animal. I had a black bear get a little too close for my tastes. I waved my hands high and made a shitload of noise and she wandered off.

Good thing too. I had plenty of ammo and didn't want to hurt the poor girl.

dog_paddle

I have Karelian Bear Dogs and regularly go out and haze bears with them. So, I have had several occurences of witnessing my dogs getting into tight spots with bears.

I had one of my sled dogs get attacked by a coyote once (sled dog won the fight) and I have had a sled dog get bit by rattlesnake.

I got sprayed by a skunk once! and have a face to face confrontation with a Grizzly

greentea

Does a squirrel count? Oh sure they are cute when they run up to you, but that wears off pretty soon once they hook there claws in. Encountered a few foxes and deer, but they usually run the other way when they notice I'm there.

ChadTower

The other day a ground dove flew right into my shoulder and fell to the ground. Not sure if the thing attacked me or if it was just dumb. Peaceful, my ass.