Ever taking a cat camping?

Regina

Ever taken a cat camping?

We haven't but have thought about it. We've been camping before and saw some campers that brought their cat along. It seemed to be enjoying itself as it was just laying in it's little cat bed sleeping. It did have a halter collar on so I think they walked in on a leash. Guess it has to be a very laid back cat to do something like this.

Last edited:

LovingNature

We never have, probably won't but like you, we have seen some at the campgrounds we've been too. We stopped and ask one couple that had theirs along with them how it liked camping and they said he did just fine. They always walked him a lot and kept him in the tent at night. He'd been coming with them since a kitten so I guess that made a difference.

Lamebeaver

Depends on the cat. We've never taken ours. I shudder to think of the shredded skin involved in getting him into some soft of a halter.

Cottontail

I'd be too worried about losing the cat, personally. Even if it was a laid-back cat who didn't mind a harness, you never know what might happen. Best to keep them home where they're safe.

MountainMan22

I've never seen anyone with a cat while camping. It just seems weird to me. Unless you have a big RV or camper I don't see the point in bringing a cat. I don't think cats are very fond of leashes so if you take it off the leash, it could run away.

ChadTower

So you would either lock it in the RV, being pointless, or tie it up outside as a snack to anything that comes along. Neither option seems all that good for the cat.

Wild Rose

Any cat I have ever had, would not have done well camping. My cats have always been too independent. I can not even imagine walking a cat on a leash. Plus, with all the dogs around, there are way too many problems that could arise.

Hazel

I'm not worried about taking my kitten "Muffin" camping. Shes ferocious and thinks shes a saber toothed tiger. I'd feel sorry for the bears. The bears however, would wipe their asses with my lazy ass tomcat "Momo".

HappyFeet

Nope, I wouldn't bring my cat along. He is so inquisitive and I'm sure he will get lost in the wild. We never even let him out of the house for he might run away.

freedommachine

I have never taken a cat camping but I have two stories of cats I have seen, well besides in a trailer or motorhome. The other day my wife and I plus our dogs went for a drive by a local lake, and then we see a couple hippy backpackers, and one of them had has his cat riding on top of his pack as he was walking along. The cat didnt appear to be leashed, or even mind cars going by or anything. The other story I seen a homless guy that had a perfectly tamed cat on a string in a parking lot. The cat didnt seem to mind people or car or the string it was on. The cat walked along side his bike as he rode slowly along. I think most cats would get scared and try to run off when camping. But the one in a million might do okay.

campers

I don't have a cat but I have a dog and I didn't bring him to camping because he is an animal and I am worried about his safety in wilderness especially his food.

Grandpa

If you bring your cat to my campsite, you may as well rename it Alpo.:tinysmile_twink_t2:

Rosie

I think it would depend on the camping trip, if there is always someone at the campsite and the cat just likes to lounge around with you then that would be one thing, but if you're the sort that spends the days hiking and swimming then I'd think the cat would get into trouble while you were away.

Newanderthal

Don't do it. The impact on the local wildlife will be horrible. In a single day a cat kills dozens of frogs, lizards, snakes, mice and birds... just for fun. Let the wildlife live. It's why we go to the woods in the first place.