Farewell to the best four footed friend e guy could ever have.

Hikenhunter

Sadly ,this past Monday, I had to say good bye to the most faithful friend I will probably ever know. Copper spent the last 14 years by my side at home, hunting, hiking,and during any other activities we might have found ourselves involved in. I picked him up at a rescue, ( that turned out not to be a rescue at all, but that is a sad story all it's own.),I brought him home. Truly I rescued him from that place. He was about 7 months old. I've had quite a few dogs in my life, mostly hunting breeds of one kind or another, but none that were as versatile as Copper. 1/2 Labrador Retriever and 1/2 Golden Retriever he had the stocky body and short coat of a Lab and the reddish color of a Golden. Easiest dog I've ever trained and he trained me well too. He was a joy to have in our family and I only wish he cold have stayed with us for a lot longer time. Up until about a year ago he embraced each day with a happy wave of his tale and a " lets get to it " kind of attitude. Great with our grand kids and with all the neighbors in our neighborhood. I know they will all miss him. For the last year he was slowing down. His sight was growing weak, he moved more slowly, he wasn't as energetic as he once was, even his coat started to change color to a dull red mottled with grey and white. The pain could be seen in his eyes and in the way he walked. Sadly, my wife and I had to make the decision to have the pain taken from him, and so we made the trip to the vet to end the suffering of a dear friend and family member. While I sat in the room with him I picked up a few pamphlets that are supposed to help you deal with the grief and all that kinda stuff and there was a poem on one of the pamphlets. I believe that If Copper could have spoken he very well might have said the words to that poem and I would like to share them with all of you: You will be sad I understand; Don't let your grief then stay your hand; For this day more than all the rest; Your love for me must stand the test;I know in time that you will see; The kindness that you did for me; Although my tail the last has waved; From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Cappy

Friend of mine that I have neva met. I know how you feel and I share your pain of loss I've read your post for several years now as you have read mine so ya know I know how ya feel. I did not think I could do it again but I did and now have a border collie pup I named Jolie' cause she is too dang cute. No dog can ever replace your dog but can become another dog friend when ya ready the Lord will provide and you will remember I told ya so. I have tears in my eyes as I type this cause I feel ya loss but trust me the future will be bright for a good soul like you.

Grandpa

I feel your sorrow my friend. I just added new dirt over Tanks grave from the winter settling. I still haven't thought about replacing him. They are true friends and the parting is hard.

Cappy

I miss tank too Grandpa sounds silly I know but its true. Sparky left us three years ago and I finally decided to give my heart to another. not to replace him but to be another dear friend

Grandpa

Grandma claims she's got her hands full taking care of me without adding another big loafer to the family. Of course she still has the little furball to keep her company. Gizmo is 8 years old and still stupid enough to want to fight coyotes, skunks, and anything else that comes around.

Cappy

Jolie' is still a pup not 7 months old yet. Still all teeth and toe nails and waggy tail. But I am very impressed at how she seems to be learning fast. Now if she would just quit dragging pine cones and nanner palms in the house and nibbling on anything she can she may be another special dog in my life. Kinda like people to have another true good dog in my life is almost too much to ask but she seems to be well on the way......Da Brat!!:Doh:

Hikenhunter

Friend of mine that I have neva met. I know how you feel and I share your pain of loss I've read your post for several years now as you have read mine so ya know I know how ya feel. I did not think I could do it again but I did and now have a border collie pup I named Jolie' cause she is too dang cute. No dog can ever replace your dog but can become another dog friend when ya ready the Lord will provide and you will remember I told ya so. I have tears in my eyes as I type this cause I feel ya loss but trust me the future will be bright for a good soul like you.
Yes sir I know you know how i'm feeling. I also know that in due time god will sent another my way. thank you for your kind words, I do appreciate them.

Hikenhunter

I feel your sorrow my friend. I just added new dirt over Tanks grave from the winter settling. I still haven't thought about replacing him. They are true friends and the parting is hard.
Thank you for your condolences. They truly become part of our family and we spent so much time with them that I think we don't always realize how much until they are gone. I hope the lord will bring another to you, not to replace Tank, but to fill the void I'm sure you are feeling with out him.

Hikenhunter

I know how you feel. If you live long enough, anyone who hunts, fishes, camps or hikes will probably have a similar story.
Yes sir I think any lover of gods creatures will have similar experiences and stories to tell. They are our life's stories and they are what makes each of us who we are. Thank you for your kind words