Fish In Our Pond

Mountain Man

A few years ago we dug out a good sized pond. There was one section where we able to get down about 15 feet, but some of it is pretty shallow. We left a small island off to one side. In spring we've had a pair of Canada geese nest on the island. A buddy put a few bass in the pond after we dug it. It's amazing how many fish there are now, and it's deep enough that they are able to survive the winter. Last Father's Day, the boys and I had a fishing derby. Those fish were practically attacking our lines.

Otto

Well, you dug out a fishpond for fishing? Throw some fry and then fishing yourself?

Lucy

I would love to have a pond on our property. We don't have a natural source of water to divert to be able to make pond though. It would have to be all artificially done if we were to have one.

campclose

We actually filled in the pond on our property when we bought our house. It had a lot of snakes in it! Gross! We never got rid of the water though - it was fed from a running stream. So we have a small stream through the middle of our yard.

DThewanderer

That sounds like a great pond. We want to have something like that one day. Do you have to take any special measures to keep it clean or is it pretty easy to take care of?

dinosaur

troublemaker
I recently finished an addition to my fish pond. I added half an acre with depths to 35 feet. I have largemouth bass, yellow perch, bluegill, warmouth, rock bass, channel catfish, carp, and green sunfish.

The pond has bays, channels and islands. Right now I'm working on landscaping.

hippieP

How large of a pond are you talking here and how long did it take to make? We have the room for one but I am not sure if I can talk my better half into it or not. And this is a warmourth.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Hey dinosaur whats a warmourth?? and what is the differnce bewteen a a green sunfish and a regular?
A warmouth is a panfish similar to a bluegill but with a heavier jaw and a larger mouth.

A green sunfish is green and looks rather like a bluegill but doesn't get as big. Sunfish is a category of fish that includes bluegill, green sunfish, warmouth, rock bass, pumpkinseed, largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, and a number of other fish that generally prefer warmer water, hence - sunfish.

And, hippieP, the total water surface of my pond is about two acres stretched out over about four acres of land. This is because I didn't want to make it square or rectangular. I wanted it to look natural.

You can make one smaller than an acre that will house goodly numbers of fish. If you are interested, look up ponds or pond management on the net and you'll probably find lots of help. Or try Jones Fish & Lake Management, 3433 Church Street, Newtown, OH 45244, jonesfish.com |.
Here's hoping you get your pond.

Last edited:

Penelope

We love our pond

We bought our property 13 years ago. The main reason we wanted the property is because of the pond. Our neighbor also has a pond and when he built his house he decided to remove all the natural brush surrounding it. We decided to leave our pond natural. At first, I liked his pond but now it just seems barren.

Our pond sits in front of our house and we have two huge Weeping Willows at the shore. It is surrounded with natural brush and small trees that block our view of the road. I am glad that we left it this way because I think it looks beautiful.

We have a lot of fish and crawdads in our pond. Our nephews love to come and fish every year.

Now, 13 years later, we still love our pond!

:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Last edited: