Flotation devices

oldmangunner

I have seen two different types of flotation devices for children. The regular orange kind that goes around the neck and the kind that looks like a vest. Which one is safer?

hydethebeef

I really like the vest type. I have very slim kids and the orange ones seem to slip and tend to come loose. The vests clip on and seem to stay more secure. They are more expensive though.

Gracy

Swim lessons are the best form of water safety for your child. But even with that... small children should be wearing a life jacket around that kind of water danger.

Fox38

I like the vest better too, I just think they are better at holding up the child. They are safer in my opinion because there is no chance of choking the child. Have you seen the swimsuits with the built in flotation devices?

DThewanderer

Fox is very right about the choking hazard. This is something that can be over looked and takes a keen eye to spot. I have not seen the flotation devices built in to a swim suit though. Do they work?

faye

For me, the life vest is better. This is the lifeline and is recommended for kids who aren't expert swimmers at a young age. Other expert swimmers use them to protect themselves from strong waves of water or if they lose consciousness.

HappyFeet

As long as it makes the person afloat then that would do it for me. I don't really prefer the kind of flotation device that I use as long as it does it job to make me afloat.

le Metis

For childern, the best is the vest style Class III PFD. If they are on small side, then the PFD should have crotch straps to prevent ride up. As for those horseshoe collar PFD's no child should ever wear one... let alone adults.

Hannah

I prefer the vests that have the crotch strap so they stay in place. My kids get all worked up if the vest rides up around their ears while they are in the water.