Gar?

Alliegator

I have a friend who told me he was fishing for gar. I've never heard of this fish before. Does anyone have any info on them and how they act. He told me they are horrible looking things but can you eat them for example?

dinosaur

troublemaker
There are several different types of gar but all quite ugly. They have a long streamlined body like a pike with large scales that are like armor. It takes a saw to cut through them. They are a major predator but somewhat difficult to catch because of their bony mouth (the hook won't sink in.) you have to get them to swallow the bait. I'm not certain how big they get but I have seen thirty pounders. I am certain they get bigger. I clean them using a ROTO-MITE to cut through the armor, then peel the armadillolike hide. The meat is pink and firm. It is best cut into chunks and shish-ka-bobbed with pieces of onion, tomato, and grren pepper liberally splashed with your favorite barbeque sauce. Cooked, the consistency is reminiscent of lobster tail and similar in taste.

Excellent stuff!!

Thumper

I don't think that sounds like something I'd like to try to catch. I like to fish but I don't think I'd want to deal with something like that. I love bluegill and bass. I also catch catfish quite a bit.

derrickgunn1977

I have caught several gar even though they are fun to catch i won't eat them alligator gar is above all my favorite to catch they get huge and fight like nothing else

zach

ive seen a 7 foot aligator gar im not sure if they get bigger than that , up here they call them gar or gar pike , pretty ugly but taste great

Dougdad

archeryaddict
The gator gar has a nonstop growth, I have herd of them getting upwards of 100 lbs, and they are butt uggly an full of teeth, they get their name from the teeth, they resemble a alagators mouth, long bonny and teeth every which way, I wont mess with these guys, I just cut the line.

Bambi

As a girl, we vacationed at Lake of the Ozarks gar are common. We used a rigging of piano wire to make a "noose" with bait hanging inside the loop. When they hit the bait, the "noose" was tighted to catch them.

topwaterking

I have heard of two types of gar Gar pike and alligator gar. The first one I dont know much about accept that they are really good fighters. But i Know alligator gars are from the south and they can get up too 800 pounds the size of a small bull shark the are very dangerous and are named alligator gar because they have a bottom jaw over hanging there top one resembiling an alligator their ferocity is also another trait that gave them the name alligator gar. Gar pik on the other Hand I know are much smaller then alligator gar!!!

Bud

I have never heard of these creatures before. They sound quite ferocious and like quite a handful to catch! It must be a species of fish that is quite ancient.

BTBoop

Bud they can be quite ferocious and a handful to catch. I do believe they have traced the lineage of gars back to prehistoric days or such.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Gar are like sharks. Being at the top of the food chain hasn't given them much reason to evolve.

Qweetzy

I think I'll just stick with fighting with carp. That's enough fight for me. I don't think I would want to see a 300 pound alligator gar let alone try to land the sucker and kill it.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Nothing like fighting a big beast. Queezy, oh, I'm sorry, Qweetzy, you need to get a grip. You can live life or spend a whole lot of time doing nothing. Kick some ass. It'll give you something to tell your grandkids.

hunter44mag

Thumper, if you have gar around, you won't be seeing bluegill [favorite food] Gar are tasty if prepared correctly. As far as to catching them, their mouth are boney. When they take the bait, let them run for 8-10 ft. They will hold their prey in their mouth and swim away. After a few feet, they will swallow. That is when you can set the hook. Bow fishing works also. I have seen them 8 plus feet.

dhoyle

From what I have heard and read the flesh of the gar is very tasty, but DO NOT FOR ANY REASON EAT THE ROE, IT CAN KILL YOU WITH JUST A TASTE