Geocashing...

jason

fear no beer
I've gotten to see some interesting things while geocaching. I have no problems with it, and if it helps get others outside to appreciate nature, all the better.

BUUZBEE

Tent Camper :)
My hubby has been doing it with his brother for about a year now... we'll be seeing what we can find when we head up to Yosemite!
I dont remember what they are called, but the ones that have the #"s on the item, that you can track where they've been... thats fun too! We have the last one we got at the lake and will take it with us to place somewhere there.

Grandpa

I don't have a gps but last year one of my out of state hiker friends came prepared to hunt caches along our backpacking route. I helped her find a couple of them and thought it could be quite fun and a good side to the regular backpacking trip.

Newanderthal

great activity to get people outside and educational for the little ones. it's like treasure hunting without the fear of pirates.

savvyninja

Geocaching gives people a great reason to go out and explore the natural world. It makes me feel like an explorer searching for some hidden treasure. It's great but you definitely need a GPS device. I personally use a Bushnell personal gps locator because it is so simple to use. It's no bigger than a stop watch and it gets the job done for such an inexpensive device.

briansnat

Platnium Member
I'm in my 10th year of geocaching and love it. I've discovered countless cool places through it, some practically in my own backyard that I never knew about and probably never would of if it weren't for geocaching.

Though my kid is grown, it's a great activity for families and gets the kids out from in front of their Playstations and into the outdoors.

oldsarge

Started in 04 and have been slowly loosing interest in it lately. Way too many urban caches and it seems like it's becoming a real problem with encroaching on private preoperty. I'll still cache if it's in the woods, but I'm pretty much done with it. I have been a premium member for several years and won't be renewing my account this year. Over all it's a great family activity and can be loads of fun. Kids enjoy the heck out of it. There are some great caches out there, highly constructed and very well thought out. But for the most part it seems like more folks are just throwing them anywhere just to help get the numbers up there. If your new at it you will most likely have a great time, I did!

hummingbird

great activity to get people outside and educational for the little ones. it's like treasure hunting without the fear of pirates.
Argh! LOL I have yet to participate but I aspire to get a GPS and start. I think it would be really fun to try it. I always love a good walk outside, so it would be right up my alley.

Kenser321

I have my Garmin G60SX and it works for its purpose on long treks. However if its just a short trail or an urban cache I use my Droid smartphone with the c:geo program. My Droid came with free navigation on it. The Garmin if I remember correctly wanted $100.00 just for the map package. I prefer my $40.00 Nuvi that sits in the glove box until I need it.

Anyhow I love geocaching. I once got to climb up on some rocks next to a frozen 30 foot waterfall in the dark at 6AM. The cache happened to be under a rock that was peeking half way out of the fall itself. Was pretty cool I was the 2nd person to find it. If I remember correctly there were about 10 that logged DNFS before I got there.

oldsarge

I've never have tried it, but might in the future. Sounds fun. Guess I will have to wait until I get a GPS.
If you're good with a map and compass, hit the woods and find a few that way. That's what I did when one of my older GPS units was out for repairs. I say the woods because if you never have Geocached before and you head into an urban area looking around for something you have no idea about, you may seem a little suspicious.