Ghost Stories

BTBoop

Does anyone still sit around the camp fire and tell ghost stories? Do you have any good ones to share? Did you have nightmares after?

BCBabe

O, if we've got kids with us, I go one better than that!

I've got an old tape deck, and it still works (D cell batteries). I also have some of the radio shows from the 30's and 40's on cassette- things like The Shadow, I Love a Mystery...

I can comfort-camp, or I can go bivouac: if the kids are comin', we're goin' the comfort route. :D

Seven

All of the kids we camp with are still pretty little (7 under 7) so no ghost stories yet. I have nightmares so I will surly be leaving before the stories start, but when it is all adults yes they do.

scubaghost

I've got an old tape deck, and it still works (D cell batteries). I also have some of the radio shows from the 30's and 40's on cassette- things like The Shadow, I Love a Mystery...

I can comfort-camp, or I can go bivouac: if the kids are comin', we're goin' the comfort route. :D
That's a really cool idea. I usually tell true stories.

Gus

Tent Camper

That is a great idea!

Evenings around the campfire are one of the most enjoyable parts of camping for me, and I love to tell campfire stories, whether with adults or kids. I just tailor the story to the group.

Now I'm off to find a player and a few of those old radio recordings.

Just shows - we are never to experienced to learn a new tip.

Gus

Benny

I've got an old tape deck, and it still works (D cell batteries). :D
We do something like that, too. We have some old Halloween sounds cassettes and we place those out in the distance while we just make up scary stories to tell.

LittleLady

If our kids are there, absolutely! That's something I remember the most from my childhood camping trips. I might even still have nightmares but it's worth it. The kids enjoy them so much.

Gus

Tent Camper
"The cremation of Sam McGee" is always a hit.
Grandpa that's your second reference to Sam McGee - must be a favorite of yours.

Prodded me to check it out. Good story, nice mix of poetic rhyme and trail talk.

I could see it being more popular with older campers, rather than younger ones. And the story teller would need to be good.

Gus

Sophia

Yeah, you have to be a little more careful about the stories you tell when there are younger listeners, or you may not be getting a good night's sleep....