Ham glaze

southerngal

So somehow I drew the lucky straw and have to bring ham for Thanksgiving. I need a good SIMPLE glaze recipe for a juicy ham. I say simple because I am recovering from surgery and will just be supervising the hubby cooking the ham, and the two rugrats around here already have him at the end of his rope!

FreeWilly

I'm not really sure of the exact recipes, but I am very fond of ham on Thanksgiving and have had many different kinds. One of my favorites I've had is some kind of brown sugar mix. It gives great flavor to the ham. Maybe you could look that up. The house I'm going to this year will have one done with pineapple. Those kinds are always very good.

wvbreamfisherman

Brown sugar, pineapple juice (or syrup from canned pineapple), and prepared mustard. I also like a little cayenne in it, just enough to give it a bite. Some folsk I know add a little fresh ginger too.

I always kind of eyeball the proportions and taste as I go along. Heat it enough to make the brown sugar dissolve and make a syrup. If it's too thin, you can cook it down a bit.

hippieP

I love ham, it is a must during the holidays and I actually requested it last year because my spouses family never had it for the holidays. I told them they were all sillyheads. :)

What type do you like the best?

wvbreamfisherman

My personal preference is what's called "Country" or Smithfield ham (in WV and VA, anyhow) which is a hard, salt cured ham. It doesn't need a glaze and is best when sliced and pan fried.

Second favorite would be a Brown sugar-cured "City" ham, which is very good baked with a glaze.

southerngal

I ended up making one with maple syrup and brown sugar. The pan we took it in was completely empty so I guess people liked it! :)