Hey Everyone

indoorwife

Note to all: Don't let your husband make new friends late in life. I've been married thirty years and my husband became friends with our new neighbors and he's raring to go camping. I research, he jumps without looking. So I'll be asking a lot of newbie questions. Thanks in advance for putting up with me.

Grandpa

Lol Ask away indoorwife. But be advised, camping is addictive, rather the good food, fresh air, and relaxation is addictive. The camping is just the means to enjoy the addictions.

jason

fear no beer
Greetings and salutations. I guess I'm in trouble, I'm always making new friends. But I think you will enjoy camping.

RoyalAmbassador

Working Camper
Welcome Indoorwife! You will love to camp because you can do it at your comfort level just remember when camping nothing is wrong as long as your comfotable.
"Camp and Live Longer"

Lamebeaver

Good for him (and for you). Time to add some excitement to your life!

Get a good air mattress like Big Agnes. Don't pack too much stuff. Make sure you seam-seal a new tent, and don't forget to bring toilet paper.

wvbreamfisherman

One piece of advice- don't let hubby get into "roughing it". There is nothing that kills the joy of the outdoors (particularly for a newbie). Like being uncomfortable. Get a good air mattress as suggested above, a good sleeping bag , and a roomy tent- trust me on this- if you're rained in and cooped up in a tent for a day or two, you'l be glad you had the room!

That said- I think you'll enjoy it, and also enjoy this forum. Great folks who have loads of experience and aren't shy about giving good advice. Welcome!

indoorwife

Thanks so much for the good tips-you guys seem to know what I need to know just starting out. I'm starting to feel like maybe I won't be so lost after all. (Reminder to self--get a compass!)

Lamebeaver

Even things like backpacking do not need to be uncomfortabe, what some people consider "roughing it". A small french press can be used to make good coffee. A bit of planning will allow gourmet meals. Single serving plastic bottles of wine are great for morale. There's nothing like being snug and warm in a small tent during a thunderstorm.

IndianaHiker

I backpack but I dont consider what I do roughing it. I have shelter, I have warm food, I have music, I have maps and GPS, I am warm in my sleeping bag at night. All in all even when out in the wilds I have it better then a large percentage of the world in general. Here is my bedroom from a recent trip.