Hiking Sticks Really Work!

Scotty

I would always sort of snicker if I saw someone using a hiking or walking stick because I always thought it was a bit pretentious. Then I got a bit older and started using one myself. They really help!! I was quite pleasantly surprised at the help it gives you on uneven soil and rough terrain. So I'm a convert.

Grandpa

I'm the odd duck here. I carry a set of trek sticks but seldom use them. They are a necessity for rough stream crossing, log walking and rock hopping water but I don't care for them on regular trails, up or down and I can't trust them crossing boulder fields. I prefer my hands free, have better balance when my hands are free and can go down steep grades faster dependant on my balance rather than the sticks. Most of my hiking pards use them but they just get in my road. They are nice if you carry a tarp though, and I still sometimes do.

gregkthompson

I really dont use a hiking stick, but sure love using trekking poles. With bad knees and the constant pounding when descending a hill it sure takes some pressure off your joints.

Michael

I bring a walking stick with me whenever I go hiking. They're great for up and down hill, and they're super useful if you go off trails. Every time I cross a stream, I'm happy I have a walking stick with me.

jason

fear no beer
I keep one in the truck. It is nice to have one on those days where I just happen to stop by a park on the way home.

Fox & Hounds

There was a time I thought trekking poles were not a good thing. After I got a bit older and arthritis settled into one of my knees I tried them and became an instant convert. Now, they are as essential to me as my water filter on a hike. Those down hills hurt too much without them.

oldsarge

Never used two poles together, always had pole or staff of some kind to assist me. I'm considering using two after all I read about the benefits.

ghostdog

Valhalla, I am coming
Sarge you might really like what they can do for you.

Honestly, I don't think I could do the kind of hiking I like to do without them. There is a technique to getting the most out of them. You put your hands up through the bottom of the straps, (very important). When you push down on them that strap is right under your palm so you don't have to grip the poles hard. The poles should be adjusted so on level ground when you are holding onto the grips, your elbow is at a right angle. That way you don't have to lift them real high but you have the range of motion to put power to them. It takes a while to get used to them, to get that flowing motion but once you do it becomes second nature. If you search on "using trekking poles" you will find some useful info on the technique.

DThewanderer

I like hiking sticks. I don't always use them but I do find there are some situations where they are very appropriate and helpful, plus they can double as a weapon.