Hiking with my untrained dog?

Thelosthiker

Does anyone have any ways to help me train my dog how to stay within a certain distance from me when i take him off the leash? He seems to find everything interesting and run to it, and sometimes he goes crazy and runs and i start to panic hoping there's nothing dangerous ahead.

Flatlander

Ideally you'd be using an already trained trail dog to teach the new one. Bummer. Most trails require that your dog is on a leash anyway, so you might as well get that part of the training mastered. Until you know how your dog will react to other dogs and/or people on the trail, you should have it under leash control. The last thing you want to do is wander aimlessly searching for an untrained dog who took off after (you hope) a deer. You also don't want your dog to make a turn you didn't or vice versa. I've had both of those things happen and it's gut-wrenching, exhausting, and your fault. Once the dog is comfortable on the leash in the woods you can start using increasingly long lengths of rope until you feel like your dog is going to be there when you look up from taking a leak. By the way, don't bother hanging on to the leash/rope. You've got enough to worry about navigating in the woods. Use the hip belt on your pack to secure yourself to Fido. It makes EVERYTHING easier!!!

mccallum

Flatlanders got it. I would actually encourage the dog never off the lead; I issue is those folks who think their dog is better trained and behaved than the dog is. I walk in the town in which I live and have done in other communities in which I have lived; in all of the towns I have had to defend myself and my dog(s) from dogs that were running at large (OK in one case my dog defended me from a German Shepheard with a bite to the ear of the Shepheard).

The only time Bear, my five soon to be six month old Lab/boxer mix, have Hiked I use a 6 foot lead attached to a tool belt; this left my hand free to use a walking staff but when needed to give correction and take up slack in the lead so he and I did not trip on the slack in the line.

paloma

Well, I thought only hunting dogs are let loose in the hunting grounds I am right? I always keep my dog on a leash when we are out on a hike. Unless we are doing it near my home where he knows everyone else.

Seven

I also would not take him off the leash if he is untrained. Especially on a hiking trail where it may be kinda dangerous to let him roam free on.

Michael

Another vote for the leash. It's safest for the dog, easiest for you, and most reassuring for the other hikers. Your dog might not appreciate it, but it really is the most responsible way to approach the circumstances.

Archer

And yet another for the leash; it's just a good idea for so many reasons. You can use a really really long leash (I have a 15ft one for my dog) once he's gotten used to it. As a tip, a well-trained dog will be a happier and better dog.