Hot dog toppings

greengrass

When you roast hot dogs while camping do you bring a lot of toppings for them? I will usually chop some onion and put it in a baggie. And then we have packets of ketchup and mustard. I've seen some campers that completely forget the condiments and we've had to share.

katharina

When you roast hot dogs while camping do you bring a lot of toppings for them? I will usually chop some onion and put it in a baggie. And then we have packets of ketchup and mustard. I've seen some campers that completely forget the condiments and we've had to share.
Just ketchup and onion for me... I refuse to put mustard on anything. :tinysmile_fatgrin_t Good idea of pre-chopping the onion like that... much easier than taking the whole onion and having to chop it at camp.

And when it comes to ketchup and mustard, yes, the little packets are great! Mayo and relish come in those packs, too.

Taggart

How about heating some sauerkraut as well?

That would add to the work, but some people would go for it, especially if you were having a few sausages too. I always try to drain the juice off it before putting it on... I don't like soggy buns.

firefly

When we go camping we only bring ketchup and mustard. Somtimes onions. The hot dogs taste so good all by themselves when they are cooked over a fire on a stick. I like to just eat it right off the stick with nothing on it.

Ted

We take my wife's homemade hot dog sauce as well as mustard, ketchup and chopped up onions. I buy frozen onions at the store and love them in just about any casserole.

katharina

Just ketchup and onion for me... I refuse to put mustard on anything.
Whoa, scratch this... I have to change my story on this! After all these years of refusing to put mustard on a hot dog, a few days ago I received a tube (yes, tube!) of sweet mustard imported from Germany that I ordered and it's soooo good! I ordered it with Beerwurst and pumpernickel also imported from Germany and it was a great meal. :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

campgirl

You have to take all the fixings for all the meat when you go camping. We always have ketchup, mustard, relish, onions, and sometimes even a chili or club sauce. Who would want to eat it any other way? :)
We also take cheese, mayonaise, lettuce and tomatoes for our burgers.

Sierra

I cannot function without relish. I have to put it on hot dogs and burgers. I also put it in egg salad and sometimes tuna salad. I could eat the stuff straight out of the jar so I definitely never leave home without it :)

fiddleman

If it's just me going I eat the dogs with ketchup. If my wife or grandkids go then we usually have all the fixins. I like sauerkraut on a dog but that's something we don't do often. I'm also not against eating a dog completely plain.

jason

fear no beer
I am not really a hot dog fan. I do like bratwurst and sausages on buns, but hot dogs I just do not care for. I will eat them if nothing else is around though. I usually like relish and/or sauerkraut.

camperchick

We take all the fixings with us ketchup, mustard, relish, onions and chili. We pretty much have a cooler of just condiment type stuff we take with us jelly, mayo, pickles, and different kinds of mustard for sandwiches and hot dogs.

Christie

Generally, we have to have mustard for the adults and ketchup for the kids. The kids are happy with that, but for the adults, give us a little onion and tomato to top it off and we are happy. Never thought of put sauerkraut on a regular hot-dog, though, just polish or brats. Might have to try that one.