How to dress for colder hiking?

HikingGuy

What are some requirements for hiking in cooler weather? I always wear warmer socks and carry a second pair and I usually dress in layers, how do you dress for cooler weather?

hikingprincess

Dress in layers but make sure you have clothing, coats, etc that are appropriate for the temperatures. Most good coats will have a temperature range on them. I always carry extra socks and gloves too. I use the thinner fleece that is the artic or whatever because bulky clothing is harder to hike in.

Michael

Warm socks are a must, as are layers.

Bring a hat, gloves, and a scarf. You want to keep the wind off your skin when it's cold. This also allows you to more finely control your heat retention, because you have the option of taking off your hat for a second rather than necessarily needing to remove a layer.

The key with this is to not only have your layers, but to use them. When you're stationary, you want to be able to put everything on and stay warm. As you move and begin to warm up, you want to be able to remove layers to keep your temperature stable. When you stop again, you want to add the layers back on before you lose all that heat you just built up.

You're not trying to just stay warm. You're trying to regulate your temperature to keep it in a comfortable range.

staime

The layers do help and for me the extra socks being packed are a true blessing. When your feet sweat and get nasty, they are going to get cold. Even in layers when you end up with cold feet the rest of you will slowly chill down too.

Fox38

You have gotten some great tips here. I agree with the layers, although it's a pain to carry the clothes you don't want to wear when you get hot. I wear underarmor most of the time. It's lightweight but so warm.

DThewanderer

Warm socks and layers for me as well. I try to stay away from anything cotton and go for wool since it wicks away from the skin and not to it. Always works well for me.

HikingGuy

Thanks for the great tips. Where does one buy the underarmor? I have heard of it briefly but never seen it for sale. I think it is something I need to buy for winter hiking.