How young is too young to sleep outside alone?

OutdoorsGirl

My seven year old wants to set the tent up and stay outside this weekend with her friends, I think it will be okay, she is in the backyard, what do you think?

Michael

It mostly depends on the kid and the circumstances. Most kids would be fine out in the back yard in a tent with a couple of friends by the time they're seven.

TribalP

I think that would be fine. I used to camp with some friends and older kids in the backyard when I was seven or even younger. I have never done it in winter though LOL.

staime

How old are the kids? Are the parents going to be there? How many kids total? I guess I would be okay with it myself if I knew more. How much are you aware of and what questions do you personally have?

hikingprincess

I suppose that would depend on the maturity level of the 7 year old and also how far away the tent is from the house. I would probably be ok with it but you might want to clear it with the other childrens' parents first.

Greenjack

I agree with Hikingprincess. Make sure that the other children get their parents' permission to camp in your backyard. How old are the kids? Will your daughter be the youngest in the group?

dinosaur

troublemaker
I am not old enough to sleep outside alone. I always sleep with a gun and a big knife.

GPER

My youngest is 14 now and no I will not take the chance. I'll put a tent up for the girls then I will sleep in my tent cot in the back yard with them. Unless the oldest sleeps outback with her, she is 26.

I'm in the city so you never know who might see them back there alone.

JDSport

I can remember being about 10 when my dad let us camp outside alone. It was on 40 Acres of land though so a little different if you live in town. I would say 7 is a little young.

BigBear

I don't think I'd be comfortable with it. I think 7 is too young for that kind of adventure. Even a bit older I would probably have to stake myself at the back window all night to monitor.

evergreen

It's in the backyard not the woods, it'll be fine. Think of it this way would you rather she sleeps under the stars in fresh air or spends the night inside staring at the TV screen.