Hunting for Meat or for Fun?

nomad

When you go hunting, is it for food or for fun? In the old days, hunting is not regulated and many animals were hunted down near to extinction just for the sake of pleasure.

flreed41

When I hunt it is for meat and the animal does not have to have horns if legal to process.
I don't believe in leaving a game animal on the ground all night and then go field dress it the next day as most of the time the animal has spoilage.
Get help in finding it or quit hunting is my moto.

greensteelforge

I hunt for food. Hunting purely for sport or fun is truly wrong. It shows a complete lack of respect for the natural systems we rely on to survive, and a total failure to understand one's place in the world. Any person who can look at shooting a wild animal as a sort of contest, or imagine that it proves themselves against something is either wholly mistaken, or a poor example of our species to be on par with wild game.

Wack

I hunt for both fun and meat, plus I use the hides, feathers and I also hunt to support conservation and help out with population control. I participate in the natural food chain as a predator just like my maker intended and I have fun doing it whether I make a kill or not.

Tony

This topic made me think of the exotic animals that are hunted down to extinction. Some hunt or poach for the sake of money. Elephants and rhinos in the Africa are being hunted illegally by poachers for money. I can't blame the poachers as sometimes it is the only trade they know.

dhoyle

While I enjoy the hunt, the primary purpose is to collect the meat and other usable useful items (hides are tanned for learner of fly-tying material). The meat is also much better for us since they are free range with no man made compounds added

dinosaur

troublemaker
Who cares? Hunting is hunting. Fun comes from what you get out of it. Meat is something you have to have to keep you alive and cognizant.

Wack

When I think of exotic animals like elephants and rino's, I thank God for the hunters who have paid the way to protect and save these magnificent beasts from poachers. Poachers are thieves who destroy and steal from the good, hunters pay millions of dollars to hunt game in Africa, the money is used to protect the animals, the meat stays to feed the local people, the animals are now treated as valuable natural renewable resources managed for the good of the people and wildlife instead of destroying the habitat for farming and treating the animals as nuisances. If only America could do this and return the bison, caribou, elk, moose and all of the other valuable renewable natural resources we've run off this land in the name of farming and civilization.
A lot of people say they love animals but really know nothing about them. Anyone who thinks a human hunter is cruel has never seen how predators kill. Many predators will start eating prey long before the prey is actually dead. Predators don't follow laws, seasons or even codes of conduct, natural predators don't know about mercy.
Anti hunters don't set aside land, restore habitat, or even contribute money for every day conservation issues like hunters do. I have yet to hear an anti hunter tell me how they plan to replace hunting money for conservation if they actually succeed in stopping hunting? How are anti hunters going to replace all of the hunting industry jobs? I have yet to hear how anti hunters plan to stop wide spread starvation, disease and overpopulation with out hunting? This belief that humans are not predators, that humans can live with out killing other animals, that somehow we've outgrown the need to hunt is crazy! Why don't we all rip out our teeth and replace them with teeth meant to chew cud? What next, you outlaw the wolf from hunting? We can convert wolves over to dog food right? Bears mountain lions and bobcats stop killing! Eat kibble n bits, it's good for you! F#$% crazy!
Before anyone snivels to me about how cruel hunting is, stop, think, could you survive in the wild? I could and have. If you crashed in a jungle, do you want to be with PETA members or hunters? Do you think a hippo or lion pride would treat PETA members more ethically than any other prey or intruder? I'll tell ya what wolves would do to stupid PETA people in the wild. The same thing they do to predator stupid deer, slaughter them all just for the fun of it. Mother Natures way of saying you're too stupid to live, only the strongest and smartest survive. The further away we get from nature, the more stupid people live, the dumber society gets.

tacomazach

I hunt for fun. However, the meat is an excellent outcome as well. very tasty.

When I say I hunt for fun, I don't mean I am wasteful or just kill to kill. I like hunting, not killing to kill.

jason

fear no beer
I've always been told not to kill anything unless you plan to eat it. I do make exceptions today however, and include any animals that are suffering and cannot be helped, and poisonous snakes.

nomad

Wow, some comments seem very serious about this. I made this discussion because I was thinking of the predators like the Barbary Lions who were hunted down into extinction. I know that predators are vicious and have no remorse for their prey but they only kill for food and not for fun. Humans on the other hand sometimes kill for pleasure.

uncletom

uncletom

I think it's fun to hunt for your food, or I wouldn't go. Of course a nice trophy is a good bonus, but the meat is eatable. Now get it right I Don't Eat "Coyotes". But our Chickens and Farm Cats appreciate it.

RabbyTat

Been all over, but MS and LA at the moment
Gee, I just sit there all miserable after my scouting worked; my hunting plan was successful; the shot is clean and the animal is ready for me to bring home to process; cook and eat.

I solemnly promise to not have any fun with this sport.

Sorry, I cannot even pretend that for long. I sure do like it. When I am set for a shot, it is thrilling. When the smoke clears, I am like a kid at Christmas waiting to be reassured of the result. When I walk over to begin field dressing, it is a precious moment. But then, only a real predator understands. If you work that hard to do something, then you should enjoy it. There is pride in skills being successful and the whole outdoor experience is exciting.

What did you expect?

Chippin

I hunt for food but I do have fun while hunting, knowing that I'll have something good to eat when and if I do take something down. I also hunt to control animal populations that have thrived unchecked, like white-tailed deer. Otherwise, I don't hunt for pure enjoyment. I kill to eat, I don't kill because I like killing things.

hunter44mag

Both, I eat everything I hunt, I don't eat beef. Also I have fun doing it. If hunting becomes no longer fun, I will find some other way to get red meat.

JDSport

I hunt for the sport of it and also for the meat. I do not want to just go out and kill an animal an leave it. I really enjoy venison and so does my family so I go and get as many deer as I can each season and we eat it all!

Lorax

I hunt mostly for the tradition of hunting, the pleasure of being outdoors and being free enough to exercise my 2nd amendment rights.

That being said. yes, I enjoy hunting and always have. I will continue to do so and consume all that I take from the field. To do otherwise would be wasteful and disrespectful.