Is it safe?

Guy

Is it safe to buy unclaimed meat from the processor? I hate to see all that meat go to waste and have seriously considered asking if we could purchase the unclaimed meat, before it goes bad. What do you think, would it be safe?

2coastcamper

I think that's what they use to feed sled dogs in Alaska ... I saw it on an episode of Survivorman. He (Les Stroud) got desperate and ate some of it. He was fine, he said, but I wouldn't make a habit of it.

jeffsays

hi there.i don't think so that unclaimed meat is safe for regular to eat..one time it's safe but shouldn't make a habit of it.

Last edited:

Bushman

If you are out in the wilderness and haven't eaten in while and that is all that's available then go for it. Personally I wouldn't make it a regular part of my diet, but it will get you enough energy to get you through the day if necessary.

On another note, sometimes they will just give you the unclaimed meat if you ask for it, because they were going to throw it out anyway, and sometimes they won't even sell it to you. I guess it depends on who you ask.

looey

This is a hard case to guess on really......if I really had to, I might but otherwise I doubt it. Things like that are just too iffy for me and I will try just about anything once.

Newanderthal

use the sniff test. if the meat smells alright, it probably is. when meat begins to turn, it starts smelling bad. take it, cook it, eat a few bites. If you spend the afternoon hunched over a toilet, that thing of meat wasn't any good.

jeffsays

hi there...Please be aware that not everyone may welcome the offer of meat - even if it has been well cared for and is in good condition - as the practice of hunting for antlers is not always viewed favorably by locals.:nono:

Sierra

Safety of meat is obviously not something to mess with. I would say that if safety has to be questioned in the first place then it's not worth the risk of consuming it. It does seem a shame to let any meat go to waste, but it's better off as waste than making you ill or worse.

Coyote Uglee

Safety of meat is obviously not something to mess with. I would say that if safety has to be questioned in the first place then it's not worth the risk of consuming it. It does seem a shame to let any meat go to waste, but it's better off as waste than making you ill or worse.
I totally agree. I try not to be wasteful, but not at the expense of my own health. If someone is going to get rid of meat like that then there is probably a good reason, which means you probably shouldn't eat it.

bugsy

I wouldn`t trust it either. I would be too scared of poisoning. I would rather buy it at the store even though they sometimes have recalls on meat too. It makes me wonder what exactly is unclaimed meat?

jeffsays

I totally agree. I try not to be wasteful, but not at the expense of my own health. If someone is going to get rid of meat like that then there is probably a good reason, which means you probably shouldn't eat it.
i also agree from you...

homegrown

I am surely not one to be wasteful especially of meat. I'd say that you need to know why the meat went unclaimed to begin with. Our local processors will give away meat that someone brought in but forgot/didn't make it to pick up etc, but only if they know where the meat originated.