Jeeps

4x4

Can be fixed up so great. I saw several today and it just made me want one real bad. I checked a few out online and noticed they have a four door Wrangler now. I don't think it is a Wrangler if it is four door. I wouldn't think it would be as nice for four wheel driving in, do you?

campgirl

Where would you ride this? Like bah-hahing? or on the roads? I love to go out "mudding" and doing so in a jeep sounds pretty fun. Do you own a jeep already? Have you ever?

4x4

Used to. Sold it but I am going to get another. We mainly go in the woods, mudding as that is the best way to go riding in a jeep I'd say. :) I'm all about the older soft top jeeps. They are the best.

oldsarge

All my vehicles except two have been 4X4's. My older full size Blazer and Jimmy were lifted and seen a lot of mud. The Jimmy had 7" of lift and 40" tires. I had it in Panama with me and used to take it in the jungle before I sold it and went to a 85 Jeep CJ7. It too seen the jungle and beaches. Since then I had a 91 YJ Wrangler, 84 Ford Bronco II which seen a lot of desert driving before I moved back to Illinois , an 02 Dodge Dakota Quad cab and now I have a 04 TJ Rubicon. Right now it's our only vehicle in the family so it doesn't get too much off road activity. But I do have plans on customizing it once I get my wife her own car. I'm kind of getting turned off to all the dirt trail park driving and rock climbing everyone is doing. I rather be back out west where you can just drive in the desert and make you own way, exploring as you go.

Hannah

We used to own an old CJ-7, it was an '82. I loved that thing, eventually it died and we had kids so it wasn't practical to get another. I am not a fan of the YJ, I don't care for the square headlights, I like the TJs, they go back to the round headlights.

Stormypath

My parents had an old Jeep when I was a kid, we used to sneak it and go mudding in it. Every summer in my town we have a "Jeep Jamboree" I love to sit and watch the parade of Jeeps, they are awesome.

hikinboot

Friends of mine have an old Cherokee and he is a mechanic so he has built that thing from all new parts. He used his Jeep in his wedding, she needed a step stool to get in and out because of the lift kit. It was cool.

GPER

I have had a Jeep CJ for 37 years now, my 79 I bought new,

I'm not into the new form of wheeling, I just like trail riding like I have always done

InTheWoods

My husband and I love Jeeps! We've owned a Cherokee, a CJ5 and a Wrangler and have enjoyed everyone of them. We rented one when we went to the Grand Canyon and learned alot about what types of large rocks and small trails they can get through. Totally fun!

oldsarge

I am not a fan of the YJ, I don't care for the square headlights, I like the TJs, they go back to the round headlights.
I felt the same way about the YJ's, but when I was in the market for a new Jeep That's all that was around and I got a good deal. I'm so glad they went back to the round headlights. It turns out that the YJ was a very good vehicle and became really popular. I see a lot of them around and customized. Can't wait to make some changes to mine some day.

oldsarge

I heard that Jeep may be bringing back the inline six again but it will be a 3.8 liter instead of a 4.0. It's supposed to have more horse power and torque. Anyone else hear of this?

freedommachine

I have heard a little on it for 2012 JKs. Its hard to say if it will be good or not. If you ask most jeeper they swear by the old 4.0 and 2.5 for reliabilty. This old tj and yj engine can go 300,000 miles and still be running just fine. I see a lot of jeeper buy their tjs with like 170,000 on the clock and then mod them out. With the 4.0 and 2.5 they are pretty easy to work on. Even the current Jk engines dont look to be to bad. So I to am a little worried about the engine. The simplicity is nice to have. I do all my own maintenance. With my other non jeep car I wont even touch it.

oldsarge

What ever happened to the old saying "If it's not broke, leave it alone", I should send that to Chrysler and maybe they'll stick with what works.

freedommachine

If they knew "stick with what works" They would not be running their own company broke by coming up with all these junk suvs that dont sell well. In the 90s they had wrangler,cherokee,grand cherokee that was it. They all sold well and were very popular. Now they got more jeep models than I can remember. A lot of them are being produced then not selling real well. The jk wrangler,and unlimited(two door and 4 door),they have sold evryone with ease. They do need to focus on what works and sells. Even though I on a Tj wrangler the jks are pretty cool. They made a lot of improvments on the jk,such as standard dana 44 rear axle,the 4 door option,quik discos. Now they improved wranglers, but made everything else worse. They did away with the cherokee to have the liberty. The grand cherokee no longer has the good axles. I hope the 2012 JKs hold up to jeeps name and stay strong and reliable.

Last edited:

GPER

The 3.8 motor in the new Jeeps is a V-6 motor. AMC wrote the book Chrysler wrote the comic book. They have killed the Jeep brand and turned it into junk.

oldsarge

Same thing happened to Harley Davidson when they hooked up with AMF back in the 70's. It all worked out though, maybe Jeep will see the light and pay attention to their loyal following.

oldsarge

Has anyone had any problems with soft top components. I had the factory header bar break right at the tabs that hold the support bars. I went to the dealer and they wanted almost half the price for the frame assembly, for a few bucks more I could have picked up a new 'Best Top" repalcement top complete. I ended up calling the manufacturer for the Jeep tops and they said that they couldn't sell me any parts because of their contract with Jeep. and Chyrsler. The girl I spoke with then asked me which part it was specificly, I told her and she asked me to wait, a few seconds later she comes back on and tells me that they will ship me a new piece free of charge. I couldn't beleive it, what a deal! In the meantime I repaired my old one and made due with the repair. If it goes bad again I'll put the new one in. I couldn't beleive how much the dealer wanted for a simple part. Another piece I played hell trying to get was the rubber seal for the rear lift gate on the hard top. What a nightmare that was. Again another pricey piece. I guess what they say is true about the Jeep name,
J...just
E...empty
E...every
P...pocket