Jeeps

Grady

I've been wanting a Wrangler for quite a while now and I think I'm finally going to go for it in the next few months. I'll be looking for a used one so I wanted to hear from anyone who has one what you think of it. Are there any particular years that are better or worse than others? Do you off road with it much? And if so, did you add any extras to it or are they good for off roading straight from the factory? Thanks :)

oldsarge

I've owned three different Jeep's, A 85 CJ7, 91 Wrangler, and the one I have now is an 04 Wrangler Rubicon. I enjoy Jeep's, they can be fun but there have there issues. Like any real off roader you will have your problems here and there. They can be pretty much a great vehicle as they come from the factory, all depending on the options and also how much off roading do you plan to do. I have taken stock Jeeps to some real fun off road places with out any major modifications to it. But as time goes by you will most likely want to give it some lift, maybe taller tires add a winch and then push the limits. As with most hobbies the limit at which you set your goals to are based on budget. You can throw a ton of money into a Jeep. Someone once told me that "Jeep" stand for "Just Empty Every Pocket". I'm sure you will enjoy your Jeep, customizing it is fun too!

BCBabe

oldsarge, you mention one thing I have to speak to: a winch.

Anyone going off road in a vehicle without one is just plain nuts, in my opinion. A cell phone isn't going to help you right a vehicle that's gone over sideways, but a winch can do that.

Jeeps can take a greater angle of incline/tilt than any other 4 x 4, it's something like 35 degrees before one will go over on you. And that inline six cylinder is one of the toughest engines you can find today.

oldsarge

oldsarge, you mention one thing I have to speak to: a winch.

Anyone going off road in a vehicle without one is just plain nuts, in my opinion. A cell phone isn't going to help you right a vehicle that's gone over sideways, but a winch can do that.

Jeeps can take a greater angle of incline/tilt than any other 4 x 4, it's something like 35 degrees before one will go over on you. And that inline six cylinder is one of the toughest engines you can find today.
I'll miss the inline 6 when I get around to getting a newer Jeep sometime. I don't think the 3.9 V6 has the same amount of torque an an idle like the 4.0 inline 6 did.

I never owned a which, a little to pricey for me at the time. I do want one though. the funny thing about upgrades is that you tend to push the limits more and more. Something I never cared for was rock crawling. I spent a lot of time off roading in the desert and messing around out in the Jungles of Panama, never cared to take chances though. I've gone to some great places and had a ton of fun but primarily used my head and was careful.

BTBoop

I miss my jeep something fierce and wish I had never sold it or could find another one like it. I loved going mudding in it.

BCBabe

QUOTE:
I'll miss the inline 6 when I get around to getting a newer Jeep sometime. I don't think the 3.9 V6 has the same amount of torque an an idle like the 4.0 inline 6 did.
END QUOTE

AMEN. Jeep had no flippin' biz changing that engine, the inline six may be hard to find, but that'll be the one that gets my money.

oldsarge

You know...It's been like this from the start with Jeeps, Every improvement was knocked on by the old hardliners who didn't want change. I can speak form the days of the CJ, they were great rides. Both the CJ5 & CJ7 had there places, but then then YJ came along and everyone slammed it cause it lower and wider, had square headlights, it just broke all the rules. I even heard a few compliants about the TJ's when they first came out, Coil springs? Now the JK's have curved windshields and a Mini van engine. Whoa...what's next? All in all I think it's all for the best. By the time most hardcore Jeepers get done tweaking them out, they are far beyond anything Jeep meant for them to be, and they fit the bill for us all!