Kayak

clewand550

I am looking for a kayak. I have borrowed my neighbor's kayak in the past. It was a Town and Country Kayak. I don't know anything about them. I would like to buy a kayak for myself instead of using my neighbor's all the time. I'm not a very good swimmer and I am a beginner at kayaking. I would like to buy one that will not tip easily. Can someone please suggest a good kayak that I should look for that would be for a beginner and one that doesn't tip easier?

ppine

Forester
I would suggest some minimal instruction so you develp some confindence. Being able to brace a kayak will help you realize that you really don't want one of those short, wide slow wash-tub affairs. Length equals speed. I like a beam (width) around 24 inches or less.

Last edited:

wvbreamfisherman

More precisely, greater length for a given width roughly equates to higher speeds. (Applies to any displacement hull (Canoes and rowboats, for example- not for planing hulls).

Hull shape also plays a role in determining speed and stability.

jason

fear no beer
I am looking for a kayak. I have borrowed my neighbor's kayak in the past. It was a Town and Country Kayak. I don't know anything about them. I would like to buy a kayak for myself instead of using my neighbor's all the time. I'm not a very good swimmer and I am a beginner at kayaking. I would like to buy one that will not tip easily. Can someone please suggest a good kayak that I should look for that would be for a beginner and one that doesn't tip easier?
I would improve the swimming and take some kayak lessons. I would also rent various different kayaks and see what you like.

That all being said, I enjoy my Malibu Stealth 14. Here I am, picking it up, after my safety course. First time standing up. Outdoor Basecamp Forums - jason's Album: 3 Sister Springs / Kings Bay - Picture A great birthday present. Since then, I've gotten a lot better at standing up, and can do it with ease. That time took me 5-10 minutes to get up.

It will not win speed records, but it is fairly stable. I have yet to tip it. But I'm sure using it long enough, it will happen. That is where the swimming and safety come into play. Every once in a while, I'll jump in the water for a quick swim before practicing getting back in.

dashboardc33

I prefer the sit on top kayaks simply because they make me feel a little safer. I really do not like the idea of fitting my legs in under the kayak in fear of if I tip, I may get stuck. I like the ability to sit on top and move my legs around freely. If you are looking for a brand such as one of these I would suggest the Wilderness kayaks. I feel stable and secure when paddling in one of these kayaks.

ppine

Forester
Sit on tops have a higher center of gravity and no protection from the elements. A kayak with a cockpit does require some experience with wet exits, but it it not that hard to learn. They tend to be longer, faster, more seaworthy and capable of carrying equipment for overnight.

clewand550

Thank you everyone for your tips and advice. I will look into swimming lessons at the Y. I will also check into where I can take kayak lessons. That is a really good idea that I have never thought about doing. With the weather starting to warm up, I am interested in looking for a kayak to use on my lake. I'm not too interested in speed as I am in safety. I am interested in taking it around my lake for some exercise and sightseeing.

ppine

Forester
A longer boat can take much heavier seas than a small boat. It carries more, and it is easier to paddle. If you just want to float around on a warm day it doesn't matter. Any boat is a good boat because it gets you on the water.

Just remember that if you paddle canoes and kayaks, one of these days you will get wet. A PFD is obvious, but if the water is cold wear a wetsuit.

For a boat with a cockpit, you need a cockpit cover except in mild concitons. You also need a bilge pump and a paddle float for re-entry.

Last edited:

firedancer

It would help to know where you plan to paddle. If you're in Hawaii or Florida, a sit on top could do you year-round.
What type of water are you thinking - small lakes, big lakes, rivers, ocean?
And how much weight can you comfortably carry and load on to your car?

Answers to these questions would greatly help narrow down your scope. As a single female, the most important factor for me was weight - if I couldn't get it on the car myself, it wasn't going to do me any good sitting in the garage.

I was in a kayak club for 3 years and used their boats, which allowed me to try many varieties but also I was able to start stocking up on gear like PFD, safety equipment, paddle, etc so that I didn't have to buy that all at once with the boat. Much easier on the budget that way.

Lorax

It depends on what you want out of a recreational/touring kayak.

If you want a recreational "tupper-boat" which is one of those wide, short basically enclosed kayaks then there are lots of models to choose from. Sitting on the bottom of it will give you good stability. You can find a lot of these models used anymore for a good deal because there are so many out there. When you can find them new for under $160 at hardware stores, you know the market is flooded (I recently saw this at a home improvement chain). They are fun for a few hours of paddling around of photography because of their wide stance in the water and stability. They get you into places where other boats can't go.

If you want something to tour around in a little more efficiently for longer day trips and perhaps store a little gear, then they make those too. They offer good stability also although they are a little narrower and longer (Usually 13-16 ft.) for hull efficiency. These are big enough for weekend tripping with a minimum amount of gear storage. They are popular for fishing out of also. Some of these are also almost totally open with a seat that is slightly off the bottom. Why they are called kayaks and not canoes, I'll never know but that's a whole other rant.

Then there are the real kayaks of an efficient hull design and length (16' + ) to cut through the wind and waves, glide like ice and have full coverage and storage for a week's worth of gear. The symmetry of the hull and the type of arched bottom makes a huge difference in what they will do and how they will perform. For these, it's best to know a little about what you're doing and practice fundamentals not needed for the other types of "kayaks". Instruction is nice when you can find it (I taught for 5 years) but realize that instruction is hard to find depending on your area.

Hikenhunter

Go to NuCanoe.com Watch the videos. I have been trying out various kayacks and when I tried this one I was sold on it. It is a little pricy but the versatility of it is awsome.I think this boat is as close to an all around boat as you will ever get. And the thing I really like is how sturdy it is.The model I'm going after is the Frontier.

AK Hunter

Just remember you only get what you pay for, if you pay for a cheap kayak you will get a cheap kayak.
I first wanted this one.
http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaks/mirage/revolution-13/
Until I saw the price (almost $2,000) then I did a little investigating & found that the dihedral hull design does help keep the kayak stable. And it helps keep it tracking straight so the wind doesn't blow you in circles on flat water.
This is the one I chose to buy because it has the right hull & it was on sale.
Future Beach Trophy 126 Kayak - Dick's Sporting Goods
It also only weights out at 53# so I can carry it by myself.

Last edited: