Keeping The Fire Burning

WalkingMan

How many of you keep your fire burning all of the time? We tend to let ours go out if it's warm but if there's a slight chill in the air or if it's wet, we keep the fire going all of the time even though it means gathering more wood.

Scotty

Yeah, a heat wave now, but when it comes to supper, I want hot food if I can get it. I don't like starting the fire again and again. We just bank it when we're done for that meal and then stoke it when it's time for another meal.

ChadTower

Depends. At a state park you really have to put it out at night. Sometimes I put some coals in a metal can with holes so they can smolder all night. Makes it easier to restart in the AM.

ponderosa

We don't ever stay in camp enough to tend a fire. We may have one in the evening, but practically never have one in the morning. We usually have things to do and places to see (translated: trails to hike, streams to fish) and typically return to camp with just enough energy left to have some dinner and fall into the tent.

Camoguy

Sounds like a perfect day, Ponderosa. We do have to have a hot breakfast though. We always make a good breakfast and we really need it. We go full steam ahead for the rest of the day and then come to camp, lay a fire, cook and slide into bed.

ponderosa

Sounds like a perfect day, Ponderosa. We do have to have a hot breakfast though. We always make a good breakfast and we really need it. We go full steam ahead for the rest of the day and then come to camp, lay a fire, cook and slide into bed.
Yes, we're definitely fans of a good breakfast as well. We usually just use a stove in the morning though, rather than cooking over a fire.

Grandpa

So many areas out here are becoming "no fire zones", so stove cooking becomes mandatory and campfires a luxury. Blessed be my pocket rocket

IndianaHiker

Since I pretty much just backpack I don't always even build a fire. Many time use my pocket rocket like Grandpa stated and forgo a fire all together.

briansnat

Platnium Member
We just start a fire when it gets dark and put it out before going to bed. When backpacking or canoe camping wood is to precious to waste by burning it all day.