Lake or Ocean?

Camoguy

Which would you rather fish, a lake or an ocean? I love fishing in lakes. The water is much more still and I seem to prefer freshwater fish to saltwater. I don't know why but that's my preference. How about you?

waverider365

I'm with you about the stillness of the water but there are times that I prefer the ocean as you have opportunity to have more of a sporting time if you happen to catch marlin and such but other times I just want to go be in nature and just fish, if you know what I mean.

Betty

I do love lakes. I've lived by the ocean on several occasions, but when I decided to build my house, I chose a place near a lake. I love the lifestyle.

Gondor

I love lakes because there is something more calm to them than to the ocean. I hate images of being stranded on an open body of water.

JDSport

I live surrounded by lakes so I may be a little partial to them. I have swam in the ocean a couple times but it does not compare to the freshness of the lakes.

Frederico

I enjoy both, but if I had to choose one it would have to be a lake. I prefer the shoreline and geberal habitat of lakes, I also prefer camping by a lake. I guess they are more peaceful than an ocean !

Starling

I'm a hypocrite I guess. I prefer fishing in lakes over oceans, mostly because I've never fished in the ocean before and wouldn't even know where to start! In terms of doing other water-related things though, I prefer an ocean all the way. I just can't imagine swimming in a lake that's possibily infested with Water Moccasins.

Bud

Ocean fishing can be quite daunting and the gear involved can be quite costly. I think that freshwater fishing is so much easier and so much more do-able for most people.

mikepond

Any time I have ever went its always been a lake, large lakes mind you but still lakes nonetheless. For some reason I have an odd fear of the ocean, maybe I just don't like big boats.

Judy Ann

I've only salt water fished the last few decades, but the thought of hooking a fresh trout for dinner is appealing.

LittleLady

I prefer to be out on a lake. That's probably because I haven't had much opportunity to try to ocean. So I stick with what I know.

oldsarge

Having friends who are big time fishermen, I have had the chance to fish both lake and ocean. If it were a matter of survival I would pick the lake. I have caught way more fish in a lake than the ocean. But if it were a matter of just being out and relaxing with friends I really liked the ocean. Of course the fish I caught in the ocean weren't as many but sure were good.

Benny

The ocean is for swimming - the lake is for fishing! There is just too much activity in the ocean - waves, etc. I mean, being on the boat in the ocean is pretty cool, but then I just enjoy the ride!

orchard

I guess I like the smaller approach to it and prefer to stick with lakes. Semi small boats I am okay with but I am not too fond of the ocean (too big for me I guess).

ChadTower

Having friends who are big time fishermen, I have had the chance to fish both lake and ocean. If it were a matter of survival I would pick the lake. I have caught way more fish in a lake than the ocean. But if it were a matter of just being out and relaxing with friends I really liked the ocean. Of course the fish I caught in the ocean weren't as many but sure were good.

I'll go a different way with this. Growing up in a fishing community I'd take the ocean for making a living and if it were convenient and affordable to own all of the expensive equipment that go with ocean fishing (boat, large rods/reels, long day trips, fuel, mooring, etc).

If we're talking about small numbers survival, or just casual fishing with minimal cost outlay, give me a good lake and a canoe every time. It's safer, it's easier, and you're not nearly as feast or famine.

It's a lot easier to dig up a few worms and pull in some small fish than it is to arrange a day trip 10 miles from shore.