Lakes low

carmen

We are heading out this weekend for a fun trip but I am worried with the few rain storms we have had that the water is going to be extremely low. Maybe the lowest its been in years. Are other places having this issue too?

Gentle Ben 1957

Carmen, I don't know where you live but if you are swimming in a low level lake there are a few issues that are concerning. A form of meningitis, goes into the body through the nose, mostly, attaches to the membrane between sinuses and brain, causes much damage. Mortality is very high, if caught in early stages it can be treated. If the water temp is above 85 degrees I don't let my children swim in the shallows, usually not found in the deep part of the lake. I am aware of several (3) seperate cases of children dying from this. It's one of my BUTTONS. I was a aquatic scientist for over 20 years. Just be aware, and safe.

Grandpa

Opposite problem here, reservoirs and lakes are still way too high going into the fall. We need to get more water downstream before winter or we will have big problems next spring.

Grandpa

Thanks Ben. We have discussed N.fowleri quite a bit in here this summer. Our family enjoys the hot springs and we have been aware of the little brain eater for several years.

FreeWilly

Where I live, our lake was extremely low. We basically had beach front property for a while during the dry season. Now with the rainy season, all of the sand is completely submerged again.

Gentle Ben, is that basically the heavy feeling I get in my chest when I get in a pool and it's a little harder to breathe? Or getting in a hot tub where it's even worse for breathing?

Gentle Ben 1957

Free Willy, It sounds like chlorine may be effecting your breathing. Hot tubs will release more chlorine and facilities usually dose hot tubs at a greater rate because of this, making conditions worse.

Chlorine will neutralize N. fowleri and about anything else at the proper rate.

There were two boys in Oklahoma and one child in Texas, Lake Arrowhead near Wichita Falls, that died from this organism in the past several years. I am familiar with the area where this occured on Lake Arrowhead, very shallow, extreme heat. The organism is usually always present, it's very rare that it gets in the right spot to effect a person, usually a child due to the wading and shallow area they swim.

Amoebic meningoencephalitis is the disease cause by the organism.

outwest

I always get a little depressed when we have a harsh summer like this and then the lakes just dry up to a dribble. Besides taking the fun water sports out of the vacation time its just sad to see nature dying out like that.